Date:
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:14:35 EDT
Re; Do your Ferrets have to have there vaccinations?

>>My vet told me to never vaccinate her again.  I am concerned about this.

>This all depends on weather you take them out or not.  If you do not take
>them for long walks outside of your home, then there is no need to have
>their shots up dated.

I know we have a lot of personal opinions coming out in post.  And true
I didn't read the original post concerning this.  BUT unless the ferret
in question has had a reaction to all THREE available distemper shots, I
would hesitate greatly to not "update" them.

Unfortunately distemper doesn't care whether you take them out or not.
Distemper can come into your house via shoes "dirt," clothes, etc., etc.
Two of my kids reacted to the Merrill vaccine last year when they have
never reacted before.  Would I not try and use the others such as Ferret
Vac?  No way.  I want my kids protected.  The never go outside theory
might pan out for rabies BUT not distemper.  It is very important to try
all three.  It is very important to wait at the vet at least 30 minutes
after shots.  Heck next time I do it I'll wait up to one hour because
I've heard of very delayed reactions.  But offering an opinion based on
the fact that her/his ferrets don't go outside is plain wrong.  She/he
takes them to the vet doesn't she//he?  They go outside and go to work?
Mow the yard?

The "outside" comes in no matter how you look at it and distemper kills.
Try a different vaccine but don't not do it because they reacted to one,
just one of the available ones out there.  I've had good luck with Purvax
and will probably switch back to it for my ferrets.  Call ahead at the
vet if you have had a ferret that has a reaction to a specific vaccine so
your vet can have another choice ready for you.

Ignorance kills.  There are three options out there to choose from before
you decide to play the IM scared of reactions game.

Leanne and the fuzz balls