From:
batzwing <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 06:17:51 -0600
thanks for any replys..a bit of history

7year old MF male, underwent adrenalectomy a year ago august.  Developed
insulinoma shortly thereafter, his BG has been pretty consistently in the
high 60's and managed with 1/2 of a 5mg prednisilone BID.  This past month
he is sleeping more often, eating and drinking normally...poops well they
ahave always beeen funky, fecals showed nothing, meds never really firmed
them up, we figured everything else was fine, so we let that go.  Last
week he presented with hind limb ataxia, it was an episode that passed..I
figured something was up though, and then a couple of days ago he had
difficulty walking, kept falling over, it looked like some kind of nerve
damage had taken place in his spinal cord.  He has strength in his back
legs...but you know that test where you pick up their back legs and have
the animal set them back down and they rest their feet on their
knuckles..thats what he does.

I freaked and ran him into the clinic I work at...It is so nice to have
everyone and everything doing everything they can for my little one.  I
know that Humphrey is on his last legs..so to speak.  I wanted him to be
compfrotable, after a blood panel which EVERYTHING was in the normals
range, and testing his BG, which Oddly enough was 108..it has never been
that!  We chalked it up to a side affect of his disease.  I asked for a
shot of dex.  The Docs I worked for debated the issue, worrying about GI
ulcers, and maybe they are right, but i wanted him to be compfortable NOW.
6 hours after the shot there was a remarkable improvement, able to go the
the bathroom without laying in it.  I know I am reaching for straws.
When a ferret is not a surgical candidate, and they start presenting with
this..how long does he have?  Was the Dex a bad Idea?  I also truly believe
his right adrenal is failing.

On another down side, Chandler, my baby, is going in for adrenal surgery
today...wish us luck please..I am so nervouse!

June and the Tennessean zoo