From:
Dee gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2010 14:06:23 -0700
I meant to send this along sooner but ......

I don't know how this relates to ferrets in Ohio. Ferrets always seem
to get grandfathered in with dogs & cats so maybe there's something
in there under puppy mills. Is there anyone who can elaborate on this
Agreement?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ....... July 2

Landmark Ohio Animal Welfare Agreement Reached Among HSUS, Ohioans for
Humane Farms, Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, and Ohio's Leading Livestock
Organizations

Phase Out of Extreme Confinement Systems for Breeding Pigs and Veal
Calves; Immediate Moratorium on Battery Cage Construction, and Other
Animal Welfare Reforms to Be Implemented

Gains in the Making on Puppy Mills, Cockfighting and Exotic Pet Trade

COLUMBUS, Ohio (June 30, 2010) -- A deal struck among The Humane
Society of the United States, Ohioans for Humane Farms, Ohio
agriculture leaders and Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland will lead to major
animal welfare improvements in Ohio on a raft of issues, reforming
industry practices and improving prospects for adoption of critical
legislation in other areas. The agreement puts a hold on a planned
factory farming initiative on the fall ballot.

"I'm grateful to Governor Strickland and his administration for their
outstanding leadership on these issues," said Wayne Pacelle, HSUS
president and CEO. Pacelle appeared with Gov. Strickland and Ohio Farm
Bureau Executive Vice President Jack Fisher at a press conference to
announce the agreement. "This agreement moves us forward on all of the
components of the proposed ballot measure as well as other important
advances for animals, too. I look forward to working with the
Legislature and the Livestock Care Board to see these reforms adopted."

The agreement includes recommendations from all of the parties for the
Ohio Livestock Care Standards Care Board, the Legislature, and the
Governor to adopt the following provisions:

- A ban on veal crates by 2017, which is the same timing as the ballot
  measure.
- A ban on new gestation crates in the state after December 31, 2010.
  Existing facilities are grandfathered, but must cease use of these
  crates within 15 years.
- A moratorium on permits for new battery cage confinement facilities
  for laying hens.
- A ban on strangulation of farm animals and mandatory humane
  euthanasia methods for sick or injured animals.
- A ban on the transport of downer cows for slaughter.
- Enactment of a legislation establishing felony-level penalties for
  cockfighters.
- Enactment of legislation cracking down on puppy mills.
- Enactment of a ban on the acquisition of dangerous exotic animals as
  pets, such as primates, bears, lions, tigers, large constricting and
  venomous snakes, crocodiles, and alligators.

"Ohioans should be proud that our state will be implementing these
meaningful animal welfare reforms, and I am extremely grateful to all
the Ohio animal advocates who gathered signatures to make this day
possible," said John Dinon, executive director of the Toledo Area
Humane Society and president of the board of directors of Ohioans for
Humane Farms. "Although I am a bit disappointed that action on battery
cages will be delayed due to the compromise reached today, I still
consider this a great victory for Ohio's animals and animal advocates."

"These reforms represent important progress for farm animals and other
animals in Ohio, and we're grateful to all our volunteers in Ohio who
worked so hard to make this happen," said Gene Baur, president of Farm
Sanctuary.

Ohio is one of only 11 states that do not have a felony law against
cockfighting. The relatively meager penalties have made the state a
safe haven for cockfighters from nearby states, and hampered law
enforcement efforts to crack down on the illegal activity. The
legislation, H.B. 108, passed the House and is awaiting a vote in
a Senate committee.

The HSUS reached the agreement with the Ohio Farm Bureau and other
agricultural commodity groups on the same day Ohioans for Humane Farms
would have delivered more than 500,000 signatures to the Secretary of
State. The group gathered enough signatures to put an anti-factory
farming measure before Ohio voters in November.

"We are grateful to the Ohio volunteers who put tremendous energy
towards the effort to gather enough signatures to place the measure on
the ballot," said Pacelle. "Their effort led to this agreement that
moves the ball forward on all those reforms while leading the state
to address other serious animal welfare concerns and avoiding a costly
and contentious campaign."

-30-

Media Contact: Heather Sullivan, 301-548-7778,

The Humane Society of the United States is the nation's largest animal
protection organization -- backed by 11 million Americans, or one of
every 28. For more than a half-century, The HSUS has been fighting for
the protection of all animals through advocacy, education and hands-on
programs. Celebrating animals and confronting cruelty -- On the Web at
humanesociety.org.

Follow The HSUS on Twitter. See our work for animals on your iPhone by
searching "HumaneTV" in the App Store.

The Humane Society of the United States
2100 L Street, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20037
humanesociety.org
Celebrating Animals, Confronting Cruelty