From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:59:35 -0400
Bailey wrote:
>As I read the last several issues of the FML, I thought it was a
>real shame the USDA couldn't read about how many ferrets are in the
>overfilled shelters all across this country and Canada, as well.  And
>read how high the vet bills are for those many shelters and how many
>other ferrets are waiting on additional funds so they can have surgery
>or medicines or implants.

Well, actually, they CAN.  USDA/APHIS would like to know how it impacts
people as well as ferrets when kits are sold and shipped at ages below
8 weeks, and this INCLUDES SHELTERS who get in these kits later on with
their medical and behavioral needs that derive from being sold before
they are socialized and before they are developed enough to eat and
digest well the food they were given.  Personally, I suspect that having
a minimal shipping age of 8 weeks would help shelters.  Kits who are
stronger and more socialized are going to be less likely to be too much
for those who buy them, especially novices, so they would be more likely
to be kept by their purchasers.  If seeing how active an 8 week old kit
is cuts down the impulse purchasing of those novices who see a 5 week
old and think that ferrets are lumps who can be confined to cages all
the time, then so much the better as far as I am concerned.

So, let them know!

Shelter parents, I know that you are horribly busy, but one letter from
each of you -- just one letter -- would go so far toward helping these
ferrets and I believe also ultimately helping you.  If they see that
this causes a burden, including an economic burden, it helps get the
improvements.

The USDA does NOT regulate small breeders and those who sell directly to
purchasers instead of to retail, BTW, so the only way this is going to
affect breeders will be to let you not cry about the 5 week old kits in
pet stores.  Your comments on the state of development of these 5 week
olds would also sure help.

Anyone who doesn't have special knowledge but want to help these kits:
you can point out that you are tired of reading about sick kits who are
too young in pet stores or seeing them there, about ferrets dying in
transit, etc.  To end the sad frustrations of too many years throughout
the U.S.  this effort needs numbers as well as helpful comments, so
sending just a few sentences on your part truly does matter.  It you
thought that you don't matter; you are wrong because you do matter!

These will help you help ferrets in lasting way all over the U.S.A.:
http://www.ferretcongress.org/USDA/sampleletters.html
and
http://www.ferret.org/news/2005-08-13-a.htm
and
http://www.ferretcongress.org/USDA/USDA.htm

Sending my hopes that all shelters, FML members, and ferrets, and other
loved ones from the hurricane region are safe.