From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 00:04:52 -0800
>I understand your preference, but I hope you realize that regardless of
>the REASON they want a rescue rather than a kit, it STILL helps that needy
>ferret.

I do recognize that for sure, but still we suffer from the perception that
we (shelters) provide people with cheap ferrets.  Most of these folks end up
not adopting when we explain the costs that can go into ferret care over the
ferret's lifetime.  Which means the individual was not approaching us
because they really wanted a ferret but were a bit short on cash, but
because they thought a shelter was a good place to get the ferret cheap.  So
when people call me up and say "The pet store wanted $200.00 -- for a
*ferret* and that's silly.  So what do yours cost?" I get a bad feeling all
over.

>I personally do not think $95 is too much for an adoption fee, but to
>compare other people's willingness to sacrifice financially for ferrets to
>yours is not really fair.

It's not really a matter of comparison -- I think that's a misunderstanding
based on taking my comment too literally.  What I really mean to say is that
when a person can't comprehend the fiscal neccessity in charging an adoption
fee, it means they aren't ready for the committment of a ferret.  For some
people, shelters are the "dollar store" of the ferret world, and they get
annoyed when this utopian vision is ruined.  And that doesn't feel good from
our side of it.

>You don't know what their financial situation is, what their kid's or other
>pet's medical bills are

That's correct, I don't.  And since I don't I have to wonder how on earth
they plan to pay for other medical care the ferret might need since they
can't even afford to shell out the start up charge.

>however, I am sure you realize not everyone is cut out to do what you do,
>nor have they ever volunteered to do so.

This is something I recognize highly, and we manage to develop a good
balance between recognizing our priorities and other people's priorities.
Again, don't take my comment too literally.  All I ask is that potential
adopters show me they will love the ferret and take the best care of it that
they can, and telling me our adoption fee is too expensive is not the way to
do that.  As a shelter operator I have to always, *always* remember that if
I adopt a ferret to someone who can't financially do good by it, guess where
the ferret ends up again when it develops adrenals/blockage/lympho and guess
who has to find the money to care for it??

I do understand your views, and it boils down to the "pets aren't just for
the rich" debate again.  But don't underestimate my (or other shelter
operators) abilites to judge the prospects of a potential adopter; we've
been doing this a long time and we develop personal methods of assessing
people that prove themselves to work time and time again.

>However, perhaps the person who called is just doing her best to make sure
>there weren't ferrets living in bad conditions anywhere

Which is all fine and well.  But it's still annoying to have people assume
that I have nothing better to do with my time.  And anyway, what makes that
individual qualified to inspect my shelter?  Unless they are an SPCA
officer, or someone from animal welfare of any kind, who are they to say
boo?  You see, there are all points of view.  I only used this as an example
of how hard it is for shelter operators to prioritize because there are so
many demands on our time.

>Or maybe that person was thinking of starting her own shelter and was doing
>a bit of preliminary research.  She may not have wanted to disclose that
>information since some shelters are competitive and she may have been afraid
>you wouldn't let her see yours.

Then in my opinion that's a ridiculous individual whose underhandedness
precludes any good they could do running a shelter.  Shelters are for the
ferrets, not the glory of the shelter operators, and shouldn't be a secret.
I run my shelter openly because I help ferrets.  And that's my only concern.
I have no secrets, and any (potential) shelter operator who does isn't worth
a tick in my books.

>My point is that perhaps there are other less annoying reasons why people
>do and say what they do,and I personally like to try and think of them
>rather than get angry at someone perhaps inappropriately.

I hope you aren't implying that I get angry inappropriately, because what an
unfair assumption that would be.  I am always professional with people who
want ferrets, or who contact me.  Please don't read too deeply into my
examples ... I was only trying to emphasize how hard shelter operators work:
our schedules are so full, and we just try to get other people to see it
from our side once in a while and how hard it is we work.  I am always
amazed at how hard other shelter folk work to offer their ferrets a better
chance ... I just wish other people could have the same amount of respect
for us all, without us having to remind them of it.

Just recently some hot head almost got us shut down because he was offended
by our adoption fee and decided to complain about it.  And you bet I was
angry, and there was *nothing* inappropriate about that anger, believe me.
And I have to ask: who do you think was really concerned about the *ferrets*
in this case?  It's healthy to theorize, but it's better to get it straight
from the source.  We work hard, by God, and we're in it for the ferrets and
we get the joy of dealing with this kind of person all the time to boot.
It's seeing ferrets thrive in new homes, and meeting the genuinely concerned
and devoted adopter that makes it all worth while.  IMHO.

Sheena - [log in to unmask]  | "To Err is Ferret ... To Forgive|
VP - Ferret Association     | "... Well, That's Our Job"      |
     of Greater Vancouver   (Wherret Web Pages Coming Soon!)