From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 21:11:19 -0600
My fiance' and I visited ferret shelters for the first time over the
weekend, the GCFA and FAIR shelters in the Chicago area.  He said later
that it was a real eye-opening experience for him - he's learned less
about ferret diseases than I have (since I'm the one on the FML), and
he was surprised to see so many ferrets in need of homes.  We want to
adopt a shelter ferret once I get a decent job in the Chicago area,
but quite a few of the little ones stole our hearts and almost
changed our minds. :)

The next time you want to add to your family of ferrets, please consider
a shelter ferret.  These abandoned or surrendered little ones need
someone to give them a nice home and lots of love.  It was actually a
pair considered "nippy" that Gene and I really adored - we've dealt
with nipping, and I figure I've been injured worse by my hamster. :)
We'd just monitor their interactions with other people.

If you won't be taking in new ferrets for a while, or are adopting from
a breeder, etc., then please consider making some small donation.  Even
things like paper towels, bleach, or an hour of volunteering here or
there can make a difference in the lives of these ferrets.

I found myself looking through the bars of the cages and seeing markings
or behaviors that reminded me of Rocko or Randall, our little ones.
These ferrets want love and a happy home - please help them to get that
by either adopting from shelters if you can, or by helping these shelters
care for them.

Finally, never forget to fight for the rights of ferrets everywhere.  As
the ferrets in shelters need your help, so do the ones in FFZs or ferret-
unfriendly areas.  Their owners would appreciate it too.

Sorry for the down or pensive mood, but it's part of the territory with
these critters sometimes.  Give your furries extra hugs tonight.

Hugs to your ferrets,
Denise, plus Rocko and Randall (10 mo. old sable males)

--
/\\    ____  ,^-o, Denise Voskuil - [log in to unmask]
  ``-,'    `-';~~     Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"