From:
Julianne Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 10:56:47 -0400
I think what Lin did is great and I think that this is exactly the type
of thing that is needed to affect change.

I have seen similar things in our local store. I have seen mice running
around the store, I have seen tiny baby ferrets in glass aquariums full
of feces and flies, and I on numerous occasions I have gone in the
store and the babies had no food or water.

I shop in a store near Pets Supplies Plus, and I have shopped there in
the past. Every time I am in the area, I stop in and take a look at the
animals. If I have a problem with the conditions, I alert an employee
and remain there until the problem is corrected. I remain calm and do
my best to be friendly because I don't don't blame the kids that work
there, I blame the managers who have the responsibility to assure that
the animals are properly cared for. My husband and I also found expired
food on the shelves more than once and complained, but no one seemed to
care.

I can't speak for all stores in the chain, but our local store (also
in Ohio) was very disappointing whenever I shopped there. Personally, I
think we should all refuse to shop in stores that sell baby ferrets,
rather than offering adoptions. Many of the products that we use can be
purchased from online stores, or from feed stores that do not profit
from the sale of live animals.

The problem is larger than dirty stores or poor customer service. Our
local ferret shelter in Ohio has about 100 ferrets that need homes, yet
there are 5 stores in my area that are all selling baby ferrets. This
is sickening and keeps me up at night. What happens when the unwanted
ferrets have no where else to go?

I am a passive person, and I'm not advocating starting trouble, but I
do think that if we stopped giving them our money, spread the word to
others about the problem, and encourage our local store managers to
promote adoptions instead of selling babies, it may do some good.

Julianne

P.S. I'm sorry that you were mistreated, Lin and thank you for sharing
this.