Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:57:42 EST
Just learned from one of best ferret vets in Illinois that the average age
of death for a ferret is now 6 to 7 years.  The diseases start around 4 1/2
to 5 years of age as a norm.

Feel badly that your beloved only lived to be 6 instead of 8 or 9 or 10??
Do not.  He or she lived to the average age of death for a ferret, despite
anything you may have heard to the contrary.

*****Adrenal surgery should not necessarily be done right away, vet says.
Little-my deaf black eyed white- has adrenal, and was in for work up for
surgery today.  Vet says to wait awhile as Little looks good on xrays and
blood.  In half a year, he will probably also have another cancer like
insulinoma.  Better to get both cancers at the same time if first one is
adrenal and ferret is otherwise healthy.!!!!  *****Hmmmmm.

Study just read from Sweden, I believe.  Only .55% of their ferrets getting
adrenal cancer.  Ten times more here, vet says.  Obvious difference is
early neutering here.  Might wish to Seriously consider shutting off your
desires to buy any more MF baby ferrets.  Find a breeder from this list and
neuter your baby at your vets.... Or adopt a MF shelter ferret knowing he
or she will probably not live as long and may be more expensive due to vet
bills.

Either increase your odds of your ferret living longer by getting an
un-neutered fert, or help out a homeless waif at the shelter.  That is what
I am going to do when I decide I am ready for another fuzz muffin.  A MF
baby will not be walking into my life.

Lisette