From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 May 2002 15:30:08 -0400
>People with less knowledge often wait to see if the people with
>more knowledge intend to address an >issue before they'll step in.

I wish that weren't so.  NO matter how long a person has ferrets
there is ALWAYS stuff to learn,  and I have seen newbies notice some
things that really, really matter but hadn't been said before.  They
noticed those things because they weren't locked into concepts, they
observed carefully (the first rule of dealing with any critter), and
they put together a pattern that just hadn't been recognized before.

Personally, I'd like to see more of the people here talking to us all.

Rog, fine work in finding out that a health problem may exist; pain
also can cause litter pot accidents as well as less socializing or
less desirable forms of interaction.  Many reason exist from reduced
ability to the pain itself interfering, to trying to signal the human
that medical attention is needed.

>I'm afraid I'm as guilty as anyone.  I often just do a quick scan for
>posts that sound urgent and don't really read the whole thing.

Same here.  I just lack time in a very big way!  I don't think that many
people realize but those of us who do things like run lists or shelters
often get HOURS of questions privately every single day on top of the work
for the lists or shelters.  Meanwhile, we still have full lives beyond
those with family, personal ferrets, friends, neighbors, jobs, businesses,
etc.  There are only so many hours to go around for any of the most active
folks here.  I can't think of ONE very verbal person here who has not
agreed with me when the topic has arisen about wanting to see more
members -- from a wider range of folks -- send in more messages in
constructive fashions.  I think that people too often miss how much they
and their observations, and constructive suggestions/comments are desired.

>I am so angry right now after reading that someone would have the nerve to
>even think of entering their ferrets into a show (never mind selling their
>products that have probably been exposed to this virus if it can be).  I
>am sorry but this person should be investigated or should have been
>checked out sooner to see if this was true and should NOT be allowed in
>just for the safety of other ferrets and fun of the show!

Rumors typically are not be be trusted, because even when they have some
basis they are often only partly true.  The paragraphs below are what I
sifted from multiple sources and may or may not have bearing or validity,
though the sources are ones I trust due to long knowledge of their common
sense so I suspect that the things gleaned may have a bit more validity.
Still: verify, verify, verify before believing this or anything else...

The situation appears to be ONE instance without further ferrets (outside
two locations) ill as far as I have so far heard, and there appears to be
at least -- and possibly far more -- as much chance that the infection
occurred INSTEAD due to a later exposure to a non-show rescue ferret from
a non-ferret facility which lacked vaccination.  The show in question
appears to have been long enough ago that if there had been an infection
from that it would have already expressed itself.

Also, it appears that the person in question was unaware of any possible
exposure that her/his own ferrets had suffered, or that an exposure
happened after the show, so don't go screaming at or about that person,
please!

It looks like anything beyond that is likely supposition on the parts of
some very vocal third parties.

Since even the BASICS have not been discussed by those who are closest to
the situation, take EVERYTHING (including what I wrote) with a boulder of
salt and do not panic.  Instead do the logical thing: vaccinate (perhaps
preferably with Purevax because besides being safer in terms of reduced
reaction numbers it might have better effectiveness numbers than the
alternatives, and since it has been around only a short while the virus
has had less exposure to it -- no I don't own stock in Merial but wish I
did ;-) .)