From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:48:41 -0500
My first 2 ferrets are not terribly vocal.  If Tigger gets very excited
she will sometimes start dooking, but that is about it.  I recently
adopted a "rescue" ferret.  The introduction of the newbie seems to be
going pretty well overall.  The original 2 seem to like her just fine.
They seem to play together pretty well, but whenever they play the newbie,
Sprite, starts dooking like crazy!  I've never heard a ferret be so vocal
before.  At first I thought my original 2 were hurting her or frightening
her, but whenever I go to investigate, they seem to be playing normally.
Sprite will pounce on them as much as they pounce on her and does not act
like she is in any distress.  She chases them as much as they chase her.
The first few days after their introduction they would just sniff each
other and follow each other around - no playing or fighting.  This is a
recent development.

I just wanted to ask if that is anything I should be concerned about.  Is
she really upset when she starts making all this noise?  Are some ferrets
just very noisy when they play?  This is my first experience in trying to
integrate a new ferret, so I really don't know what to expect.  Sometimes
it sounds like normal dooking, but at other times it almost sounds like
she is squealing.  Still, whenever I go to investigate, everything appears
to be fine.  If they truly are "fighting", she gives as good as she gets.
A couple of times Pooh has tried to prove he is dominant ferret, by
getting her by the scruff and holding her down.  Whenever he does that,
she gets very still and very quiet.  He does not shake her or really act
like he is trying to hurt her, just prove he is top ferret.  As soon as
he lets go, she will continue to play with him and does not act at all
upset.  He does the same thing to Tigger on occasion, and she will hiss
at him until he lets go.  I have examined Sprite's neck and don't see any
marks or anything.  She does not appear to be hurt.

Opinions?  Is there a cause to worry or is everything A-OK?  I know it is
a big adjustment for Sprite to have a new home and fuzzy companions.  I
don't want to stress her more than can be helped.

Holly
Tigger, Pooh & Sprite