From:
"Bossart, Richard K" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 07:30:20 -0400
Well, the fifth annual Ferret Awareness Day picnic is now history.  I hope
everyone had as good a time as we did.  Floyd had departed and the weather
was beautiful.  It's hard to estimate just how many people attended since
admission was free and people were coming and going all day.  The New
Hampshire Ferret Owner's Connection (NHFOC), who put on the event, had
400 programs printed up, and ran out of them early in the afternoon.  A
rough guess would be between 700 - 800, with probably that many or more
ferrets.

I wish the NY City commissioners and the California legislative bodies could
have been there to see hundreds of children and ferrets having a great time
for over 5 hours, and not one child was eaten the whole time.  <G>

One older gentleman stopped me near my table.  He was looking for the park
where a private company was putting on a picnic and softball game.  I told
him that it was likely one of the other parks in the area and pointed to a
phone where he might call to find out where it was being held.  He said,
"No, I'm having a great time right here."

He didn't know much about ferrets, so we talked for a while.  I happened to
mention that we had people all the way from California (The Ferret Store)
here for the picnic, where ferrets were not legal because the politicians
thought that ferrets were vicious, wild animals.  He looked at all of the
children carrying around their ferrets, kissing and being kissed by their
pets.  He laughed, "Yep, right."

Anyway, I hope everyone who attended did have a great time.  NHFOC is
already planning next year's event.  They have reserved space at the same
park, but next year it's going to be held in the much larger area just
below where it was this year.  This will be right at lake side; sandy
beach and all.

To the vendors and guests who attended, a big thank you from NHFOC.  And to
everyone, hope to see you here next year.

Dick B.