From:
Scott Bouza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:29:18 -0700
Hey everyone,

Haven't written here in awhile been really busy. I took my baby Ruby
to the vet the other day and received the most horrible news a ferret
daddy can get. My little Ruby has Lukemia and her Dr is giving her
about a month or so.

Ruby has been slowly losing weight over the past month and she is
getting weaker by the day. I finally could get her into see her vet,
was on vacation for two weeks weeks...grrrrrrr! Anyway, Ruby is very
anemic and she has a little heart murmur to boot. The doc also found
that she had a little intestinal inflammation. The Doc ran some blood
tests and they news was not encouraging at all. Ruby's red blood count
came back at 14%. She has lost obout 9oz so far and is so weak. The vet
gave me some antibiotics for her intestinal inflammation but said there
is little else that can be done.

Ruby won't come out to play because she is just to weak and lil' Bear
is noticing it. He will be by her side most of the day even though the
cage is open and he can come out and play. I think Ruby may be getting
a little tired of him being around all the time. The past couple of
days she hisses at him and moves away. This morning I noticed that Ruby
was sleeping in the hanging cube and Bear was laying on the top of it.
But I am not giving up on Ruby. I got hold of Dee and filled her in on
the situation.. She did some research and called some friends of hers
can came up with trying liquid vitamin B12 for her. Well it would make
sense since B12 helps boost the red blood cell count. So along with the
antibiotics I am trying the liquid B12, it can't hurt.

I have been giving it to her for the past couple of days and something
seems to be happening. I don't know if she is just having a good day,
but, when I got her up this morning for her meds and put her back to
eat and drink she could actually stand up and feed. Right now I am just
chalking it up to "she's having a good day". I am not getting my hopes
up too much, but I am remaining hopeful that she will pull through this
and be alright.

Now adding to the family. Being worried about Bear I have been looking
for a companion for him. I can see it in his eyes that he is just not
the same not being able to get out and have a buddy to play with. I
found a lady local here in Cadillac that has a ferret that she can no
longer take care of. His name is Taz. So I got in touch with her and
set up a "play date" for him and Bear. We introduced the two and let
them sniff each other while we were holding them just in case. They
seemed to not mind one another. So we put them down on the floor
together and watched CLOSELY!!! Bear ran off to investigate everything.
Got into all kinds of trouble, digging in plants, climbing in and out
of EVERYTHING. At first he didn't pay much attention to Taz. After
about 45 minutes, Bear discovered this fur rug that was on the floor.
Of course he had to find out what was under it. That is when the fun
started. Bear was under the rug and Taz was attacking him on top of
the rug. It was so cute and the play began. They wrestled and romped
for over two hours together. Not once did they get really rough. I had
Terry bring Taz over so they could play here on Bear's territory. Bear
was great. Taz of course had to check every inch of the house out but
when he was done it was like old friends again. They have been playing
together ever since about 9am this morning.

Needless to say Taz has his new forever home and he and Bear are having
a ball. I am so happy to see Bear coming out to play again. It warms my
heart even though I know I may be losing Ruby I really feel that Bear
and Taz will be great together. Keeping hopes that Ruby will pull
through I will have a nice family of three. You know how ferret math
goes...lol

Well, that is about all I have for now. I will keep everyone informed
on how ruby is doing. Keep your prayer for her please, I appreciate it
very much. I am keeping good faith that she will pull through this and
stay with me for a long time to come.

Thanks everyone,
Scott