From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 1994 11:14:28 -0500
FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
(version 1.1, 1/31/94)

This FAQ is being distributed to the FML in about 20 pieces in order to
encourage your comments and suggestions.  I'd also be happy to send you the
whole file; it's roughly 75kB, but I can split it into smaller segments if
your mailer has problems with large messages.

*** PART 5 of LOTS ***

2.2> How many should I get?  All at once, or one at a time?

[begin TC]
One is fine (they don't require other ferrets to live, and will bond
with you).  Two is more fun, but a bit more responsibility.  Many
people seem to have five (or more), which may be more fun and
responsibility than you want.  You can always get more if you want
more (and they take to each other just fine, usually).

[begin MW]
If you want the ferret to be YOUR buddy, get one.  If you think you
won't be around enough to keep him company, get two or three--the max
number depends on your level of tolerance and the amount of time you
want to spend cleaning litter pans.  All at once, or one at a time?
Either way, you'll have some fights.  We've done both ways with
relatively little problem.

[begin PG]
I'd recommend getting one at first, so you can get to know it, and it
you.  There's some advantage to only having to train one at a time,
too.  I'd suggest at least a few months between them, if you're going
to get several.  There's no problem mixing ferrets of either gender in
any combination.

2.3> Do I need a license or permit?  How do I find out?

[begin PG]
Depending on where you live, ferrets may be completely unregulated,
require a license to breed but not to own, require a permit to own, or
be entirely illegal.  This varies by state, county, and city.  At the
moment, the states of California, Massachusetts, Michigan and Hawaii
are FFZs (ferret-free zones; i.e., places where ferrets are illegal),
as are the District of Columbia, New York City, St. Paul (MN), and
various other towns and counties throughout the U.S.  This list is by
no means complete, so check locally before you get a ferret.

You can find out about your town by calling the local Wildlife
Department or Fish and Game Department, the humane society, or
veterinarians (recommended in that order).  Note that some pet stores
in FFZs sell ferrets anyway, so the presence of one in your corner
store may not be any indication of their legality, and I wouldn't
necessarily trust the pet store to be honest about local laws.

2.4> Where can I get a pet ferret?

[begin PG]

Many pet stores have ferrets, and there are often ads in the newspaper
from small breeders (see question 7.1) with kits to sell or from
people who want to sell older ferrets.  In any case, look for bright,
clear eyes, healthy skin and whiskers, soft coat, and a curious, alert
attitude.  You can't tell just how a kit's colorings will turn out,
but if you watch and handle a group for a while you can tell a
surprising amount about their personalities.  Young kits will
generally be pretty sleepy and uncoordinated, but they'll grow out of
that soon enough.

You can often find "rescue" ferrets at the local animal shelter, and
there are shelters specifically for ferrets scattered around the
country as well (see question 7.1).  This may not be the best choice
for a new owner, though, since rescue ferrets may have health or
behavioral problems.  (Many of them are healthy and loving, but if
you've never dealt with any ferrets before you may not want to take
the chance.)