Date:
Thu, 06 Oct 94 08:21:04 EST
To Vincent Columbo:

>I just wanted to inquire as to the needed shots for my ferret, Gus.  The pet
>store said he would need his follow up shots at 17 weeks old and that should be
>coming up pretty soon.  What shots will he need?  And, most important I want to
>know about that shot where you need to use a killed vacine rather than a live
>vacine (I believe).  What vacine is that, just so I can make sure they're doing
>it right?  Any other things I should consider or check out?

        Vince - I would get two distemper vaccinations from your vet, spaced
three to four weeks apart.  Fervac-D or Fromm-D are recommended, but other
vaccines are okay, provided that they are not grown in ferret cell culture.
Also, a rabies shot (IMRAB only) is a good idea, especially if your ferret will
come in contact with anyone other than yourself.  This is a killed vaccine.
Make sure that your vet carries the right types of vaccines, or check back with
the FML to find a vet in your area that does.

        I would also recommend a good physical exam, fecal check, and depending
on where you live, heartworm medication (check with your vet to see if you live
in a heartworm-endemic area.)

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 782-2600/2602                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000