Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:33:06 -0700
Last night I got up with my human baby about 3 am and while fixing him a
bottle I noticed something strange in the litterbox, upon closer look I
realized there was several puddles of reddish-orange poop.  It didnt take
long to find out they all had it....all 5 in 3 seperate cages.  I
panicked!!!  I got the baby back in bed and E-mailed a few people for
advice.  My vet is in Minnisota 2 hours away.  (havent found a ferret
friendly vet here)  By 8 am I was making plans with a shelter in Mnnisota
to get my babies to her to be checked out and treated.  They deffinetly
had blood in thier stool but it looked more like it was from the anal area
(maybe irritation from severe diarrhea)  It looks as if they all came down
with a HORRIBLE FLU!!  My 3 year old girl was even losing her balance when
walking and her brother Mikey who was 3 weeks out of adrenal surgery had it
the worse, He dehydrated so fast it was scary.  The shelter mom was sooo
sweet and offered for me to leave them with her for a while so she could
give them meds and they would be there close if they got worse.  I spent
the night there and by the time I left they again had formed stools and
no blood although 2 were weak and one losing balance.  I miss my babies
already but it wouldnt have been fair to keep them home where there wasnt a
good vet available.  The shelter mom is coming to spend a few days next
week with me and I'm hoping they will be well enough to come home then.

This was all so strange though, Befor bed they were all fine and at 3 am
they all had what looked like bloody diarrhea and one even had a minute
amount of blood oozing from his anus.  They are all up on thier shots and
never been sick befor and I couldnt find anything they could have gotten
into.  (I have a ferret room)  Has anyone else ever had this happen or have
any advice?