From:
ferret lover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Nov 1999 15:41:15 -0800
This is in response to yesterday's post about toys in pet stores!  All it
takes sometimes is one person to make a difference!  I hated the way our
local pet store used to treat their ferrets.  One day, I went to my local
Salvation Army and bought a handful of cheap sweatshirts and took them into
the pet store.  I asked if I could place them in the ferret cage and I said
that if the ferrets had someplace to sleep besides the litter box-they
might start "using" it instead of the back corner of the cage.  The next
week, I took some homemade hammocks in.  I'm in there all the time as I
have a herd of animals and someone is always needing something!  One time I
bought some small dog string- bone toys and asked if I could give them to
the ferrets-explaining that ferrets NEED to play!  For the last 6 months, I
have gradually made little changes that have helped the ferrets!  They are
now in a big roomy cage with hammocks and play tunnels and plenty of balls
and toys!  They even get fed Totally Ferret-not the cheap bulk stuff that
they were being fed before!  I would love to be able to talk them into NOT
selling ferrets at all but that's not going to happen!  At least I know I
have made a difference in the way these ferrets are cared for-until
hopefully they can find a good, loving home!  Don't be afraid to speak up!!
It's amazing what a few suggestions can do!  And my vote goes to BOB C for
man of the year-but only if I get to wrestle him!!!