From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 23:47:42 EDT
I've watched in silence with great amusement and interest the dialogues
prompted by Mr. Lipinski's ponderings and opinions, but I just had to lower
myself and jump in with this one.  I giggle to myself as I think about all
the emotions that got stirred up with his latest.  I'd love to meet you
some day, Mr. Lipinski............but with that said:

Mr. Lipinski says:
>With respect to Shelter Helpers, let me say that they are not worth the
>time it takes to train them, for the most part.  Plus there's the
>complication in scheduling helpers who think nothing of not showing up
>nor calling ahead.

Unfortunately, good help is hard to find.  And being that they're
volunteers, it's difficult to be demanding of them.  Animal lovers are
quick to volunteer their time, but few fail to follow through once they
realize that they'll leave almost every time with some sort of offensive
smelling stain on their clothes.  And it does get frustrating when you put
the effort into training them.  However, it's well worth the effort when
you "reach" the few people who are truly dedicated to the job.  I have 3-4
volunteers and only one comes regularly like clockwork.  She's 16 years
old!  And she's the best volunteer I've ever had.  I'm always grateful for
any help I receive.  This is my passion, and if someone wishes to help me
with it, then I'm truly fortunate.  I would not exist (I don't believe so)
without the help of generous people.

>On the average, the female helpers spend more time "playing" with the
>ferrets and "cuddling" them than cleaning the crap out of litter pans and
>washing cages and utensils.  Plus the fact they are too weak to lift a
>bucket full of ferret waste or lift a bag of fresh cat litter.  If there
>are two or more here they are BS-ing most of the time & they eventually
>both try to do less than the other one.  Once they are bitten by a ferret,
>they become so gun-shy (or should I say "ferret-shy") that they are
>apprehensive & become essentially useless and somebody else must remove
>and replace any given ferret before any more meaningful work is done.

LOL.  Mr. Lipinski, from where and from whom do you solicit your help?
Surely you gest!  My volunteer Sally is 16 years old, 6'2" tall and could
bench press you.  I myself am FEMALE, only 4'10" and 108 lbs.  I've been
bitten, chewed on and scratched by everything from cougars and bears to
ferrets (only twice) and lemurs.  I once pried the jaws of a 15' long, 100
lb python from my arm.  And just 3 weeks ago I frightened and amazed 8
state troopers (all men) as I wrestled a 4' alligator that someone had let
loose in tall weeds.  And let me tell you..........It was 1:00 am and those
big ol' brawny men with their big shiny flashlights screamed and ran to
the other side of the street (leaving me in the dark) as I grabbed the
critter's tail and pulled him out.  AND............when I finally complete
flight school, I'll be sure to fly over your house and toss out a few 50 lb
bags of litter, which I don't have a problem lifting.  And the last time I
checked (a few weeks ago), I could still leg press 300 pounds.  Am I a
manly kinda gal?  Not at all.  I used to be a model for petite clothing.
As for the BS-ing part.................they're probably talking about you
and your silly antics <g>.

>The male helpers have some advantages over the females.  They are
>stronger, don't BS as much as the females, and don't spend as much time
>playing and cuddling.

LOLOLOLOLOL.  See above.  And watch what they do when a spider drops from
the ceiling onto their shoulder.  Seriously, I've seen grown men turn into
babbling vowel-happy idiots at the sight of an adorable animal.  And those
that don't know how important the cuddling part is..................well,
they're probably all still single too.  I recruit some of my volunteers
JUST to play with the animals.  That type of interaction and stimulation
is just as important as a clean cage.

>The disadvantage of the male helpers is they break things more often.
>And, the guys leave the floor really dirty with walked on ferret poop and
>spilled debris from the cages.  They don't always remove their shoes when
>going upstairs, walking on the gold-colored carpet, going to the bathroom.

No argument here.  But you forgot to add that they also don't know how to
fix the things they break.......even though they pretend.  And in all
fairness, every female volunteer I've had has left pooh prints in one room
or another in my house.  The gold carpeting, however...................do
they still make that?

Mr. Lipinski further goes on to say:
>Coordinating the work times of helpers in the shelter is a very large
>headache when I as the owner have other obligations that must be met and
>at times have lost advantages to myself for the reason that I had to be
>here for them.  It is very hurtful when I sacrifice my time for scheduled
>workers who think nothing of not showing up or even calling.

You're right in that this can become an inconvenience.  However, this is
the nature of the business.  Other people have obligations too and most
volunteers don't share the same passion we do.  If they do, they're running
their own shelter.  We're lucky for the help we DO get.  No one forced me
into a business that requires help from the outside.  I chose it.
Volunteers are wonderful, wonderful people.  Most of the time if you treat
them well and show your gratitude, they do come back.  It may not be as
often or on a regular basis, but that doesn't discount what they do
accomplish!  I look at it this way: This is my gig and I have to schedule
my life accordingly, as though it's all up to me.  Don't "depend" on
anyone.  If someone comes along to help, it's a bonus!  I get a break!

>Lastly, and perhaps not too important to some of you, is the liability, if
>and when somebody gets hurt here working as a helper, and could possible
>entertain a lawsuit for doctor bills and antibiotics.

I pay $200/mo for liability insurance, but we have big carnivores too.
IMHO, I believe anyone operating a shelter should have it to CYA.  I've
never (knock on wood) had a problem, despite various bites, scrapes and
cuts suffered by volunteers here and there.  While you can never be too
careful, you CAN be too paranoid.  Not everyone's out to get you.

>To the buyers of ferrets, may I suggest that you not buy your ferret from
>a ferret breeder unless that ferret breeder also shelters ferrets too.
>The breeders who don't shelter ferrets are ultimately increasing the load
>on the shelters with their breeding and are not willing to depart with
>some of their money to help the less fortunate ferrets that are indeed
>some of the very same ferrets that they themselves have bred and sold.

Did you need to go through all that sexist crap (and you know it is) just
to get to this part?  Shelters face a tough battle and a lot of it does
come from indiscriminate breeders who dish out more than they can take.
For the most part, Mr. Lipinski, I share your frustrations.  We have a
woman here who closed her storefront "shelter" and reopened in her home.
She takes in the young cute ferrets and sends the rest to the large local
shelter (up to 85 ferts).  She even refuses ones she originally adopted
out.  As with breeders, there are good shelters and bad shelters.  Some
people who run shelters do at times give the general public a bad attitude
due to their skepticism an frustration.  A lot of shelter people don't
trust people because of bad experiences.  It puts us in a double bind.  We
need volunteers, but we don't trust the intentions of those coming forward
to help.  Or we're less than enthusiastic in training them.  Or we forget
the meaning of "volunteer" and become too demanding and pushy.  We need
people to adopt, yet we experience so many animals coming from so many
awful homes.  We're suspicious of potential adopters.  Having been guilty
of it myself, I can say some shelter workers are too hard on people.  We've
become too tough skinned (except, of course, with the animals).  Do I have
an answer to these dilemmas?  Not a chance.  But I sure would like to talk
to the shelter people who don't experience these feelings and frustrations
on occasion.

Kim
Animals For Awareness

p.s. - I hear you look like Santa Claus.  Is this true?