From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:37:42 -0400
I am absolutely sure you will find that the manufacturer's of Totally Ferret
have spent a lot of time and research in developing this quality senior diet
for ferrets.

I speak matter of factly, as this shelter has been waiting for this diet for
our mascot Ewok, who has been suffering from urinary tract sediment
(crystals) for some time.  We are happy to report our senior diet has
arrived and Ewok is snorkeling it down.  We waited patiently for the before
market studies -- so glad they have been completed!  This is not meant to be
an advertisement, rather a post on how these products have been satisfactory
in the daily care and maintenence of all shelter (and personal) ferrets.

In the senior Totally Ferret:

 fat is reduced to (not less than) 18.5 %
 protein is        (not less than) 33   %
 fiber             (not more than)  1.5 %
 moisture          (not more than) 10   %
 Ash              (not more than)   5.9 %

the first three ingredients are:
chicken by-product meal, rice flour, egg product.....

As in the regular ferret diet it is naturally preserved and formulated to be
a complete diet-- I MEAN COMPLETE

You do not NEED to supplement with ferretone as the necessary ingredients
are formulated into the food.

THe main thing I find is that not only does the older ferret have different
diet requirements, but the body chemistry changes just when the system is
vulnerable to geriatric problems ( illnesses, diseases).  Totally Ferret (
my interpretation here) for seniors is formulated with nutrients that will
reinforce or boost the immune system.  The supplements in this diet are
formulated to provide a healthier coat and skin.  (Less itching and
irritation I read this!)

Not every ferret will require the senior diet at the same time.  It is NOT
recommended for ferrets for ferrets under four years of age.  When your
ferret begins to sleep more, have geriatric conditions -- you will know when
this change should come.

Just take the above requirements and compare it to your other ferret foods
or cats foods you are providing for the senior ferrets in your household.
How do they compare?  Yes, the manufacturer did reduce protein and fats, not
by that much.  They also reduced the ash content (something that is known
for bladder problems in all animals).  All the changes were specifically
formulated for a HEALTHIER older ferret.

After all, your grand parents cannot consume spicy and fatty foods like you
or I do without suffering some consequences.  Why would we expect that our
ferrets food requirements would not need adjusting after they have reached
full growth and start to enter their "golden years"?  I know we will give
this new product a fair try with our "oldsters" and if we have questions or
comments I know the manufacturers will be their to help us.

To your ferrets health!
From Ewok and the entire shelter gang.