From:
Kate Pappas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 14:02:33 -0700
Seeing what Sukie wrote about ferrets and raisins in the last issue
--may I quote?

>Ferrets share some kidney vulnerabilities with dogs (for example,
>raisins, grapes, or currants all causing acute kidney failure in
>ferrets ...)

makes me think of the only criticism I had about the otherwise-terrific
book, "Ferret Fun," I loved the story. I loved the characters. I loved
the illustrations. I loved the anti-bullying plot line. I loved the
idea that someone would actually write a kids' book that starred
ferrets as "real' pets instead of "the bad guys."

But oh--how I wish that Fudge and Einstein had gotten the cat to share
her kitty kibbles with them, instead of persuading her to give them
access to a box of raisins so they could "eat and eat and eat."

Aside from that, the basic story and the exuberant illustrations
were totally delightful--and I ordered a personal copy for my own
bookshelves--but, because of the "raisin issue," I decided that I
would not include the title on our library system's revised list of
recommended reading for preschoolers (a list I recently worked on)

When I read the book at home,I can always say, "Now, we really don't
advise giving ferrets raisins" in the same way that I'll say, "It's
not a good idea to give a grown-up kitty a big saucer of milk!"

And you, too, can do likewise. But for people who don't know -- I
felt sad at the thought of ferrets being given boxes of raisins by
well-meaning kids. Other than that--it's a fantastic book!

http://seattle.bibliocommons.com/item/show/2706595030_ferret_fun

Kate (currently owned by "George & Michaela," nicknamed "Zorro &
Mickey"--a dark-and-dashing big sable boy and a sweet-and-spunky
tiny red-headed girl)\

"May all your ferret tales end 'happily ever after.'"