From:
David Caudill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:33:40 +0100
>From:    Charlene Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
>To David C. re: hot pepper spray,

Methinks there be a misunderstanding here...... I would *never* use pepper
spray on ferrets!  I asked about any possible problems with using hot sauce
(like you put on mexican food) to train a ferret.  Perhaps I should explain
my situation a bit better.

I currently have 6 ferrets (3 of my own and 3 foster ferrets).  I am
experienced with ferrets who bite.  Big Boy and Kitt came from a home of
neglect (they were handled once a month & kept outside in a cage the rest of
the time).  Both were biters which I was able to reform with love, patience,
understanding and help (thanks to the FML & Kelleen).  Two of my
foster-ferrets are/were biters.  Thunder bites too hard in play (we are
working on this) and Rascal was a nose-biter.  He would literally lunge for
your nose, latch on and refuse to let go.  I have many scars on my nose to
show as proof.  I have been able to rehabilitate him to the point where he
will not lunge anymore.  I still don't completely trust him near my nose,
and he will occassionally bite the backs of my knees, my legs, my arms, etc.
All I used on each of them was love, patience, scruffing and ocassionally
bitter-apple.  I can stand pain and I can deal with my own wounds.  Which
leads me to the hot sauce situation.....

Kitt is my "problem child".  She gets along well with Big Boy (they were
together when I got them).  The problem is that she will attack the other
ferrets viciously at times.  At one point, I had to put Taz on antibiotics
because of the infected scabs on his scruff from her attacks.  Now, Big Boy
does just fine with the other ferrets, and I hate seeing Kitt caged up while
the others run free (I do ocassionally let her out alone, to get some
exercise).  I have been trying to integrate Kitt with the rest of the
ferrets, but it hasn't been easy!  I tried bitter-apple, but it didn't last
long enough.  I then saw a reference to using hot sauce here on the FML.  I
tried it, and it *worked*!  I have been using it ever since, and only became
concerned when someone posted a warning to alt.pets.ferrets that it could be
harmful.

Now, I know some of you are suspecting some medical cause for her
agressiveness.  I recently had her descented.  I didn't want to put her
through unnecessary surgery, but she "poofed" all the time!  Sometimes 2
times an hour!  I just could no longer put up with the smell any longer (I
have had her for 1 year and put up with it until reciently).  So, while the
vet had her under, he offered to open her up (for an extra $50.00) and poke
around inside to make sure everything looked healthy.  Well, since I didn't
want to have to come back in a few months if something was going wrong, I
told him to do so.  His report was that everything was normal and that she
was a very healthy ferret.

So, that is my situation.  I hope it clears up any misconceptions.  If it
were just me getting bit, I would just use patience and love.  But this is
injuring other ferrets.  I would like to be able to let them all free-roam
my bedroom (let's not get that thread started again....).  So, if any vets
are out there who could tell me if hot sauce is harmful or if there are
experts out there who could advise me with other methods to use to integrate
Kitt, I would appriciate it.  (NOTE: I have read the ferret FAQ).

Fuzzie Hugs to all,

*    David Caudill ----  [log in to unmask]                    *
*F.A.N.G. - Ferret Association of Neverending Glee Shelter/Club *
*    Vice President and Co-Founder                              *
*    Ste 778  3929 Overland                                     *
*    Boise, Idaho  83705                                        *
Famous Last Words in Role Playing Games's: #087
"So I'm safely across the pit?  Whew!  For a minute there I was worried
that you might remember my encumbrance penalties."