From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 15:30:24 -0700
Post on the FHL also:
Sorry for the cross post but I know there are members here that are not
on that list.

Dozer is a 2 year old male ferret that was adopted to a new family from
our shelter late last year.  He was healthy and had even flown recently
on vacation with her so he had a vet check by her vet also.

The new owner, Kayla, found a bump of some sort on Dozers toe.  She took
him to the vet right away.  The vet said it felt and looked like a tumor.
He had surgery last Thursday to remove it.  He came through the surgery
just fine.

Kayla got the results back yesterday.  It was malignant cancer.  Dermal
Hemangiosarcoma.

I cannot find much information on this.  I know that it is a low grade
skin tumor.  But since it is malignant it is very troublesome.

Kayla would like to treat Dozer for the cancer in whatever way is best
for him.  She is looking into vets in our area that are able to do cancer
treatments on a ferret.  Either through chemo or removing the toe.  She
has been told that most likely it will grow back.

My question is, what exactly is (Dermal meaning skin) Hemangiosarcoma and
how can it be treated?  What is his life expectancy?

Dozer was fine before the surgery, no slowing down.  He is still the
same.  Very active, playful and cuddly.

Any advice or direction would be great.

Thank you for your time.

Joanne Ruffner