From:
katharine long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:18:10 EST
>Without a vehicle to move all those ferrets MF wouldn't have the numbers of
>retired breeder that they have because they wouldn't be able to sell all
>the kits they breed.

I can't believe I'm reading this.  Many, many, many of us would have never
heard of ferrets, much less seen one, if it weren't for pet stores.  Many of
us don't live in the ferret belt and don't have access to local breeders or
shelters.  The fact that ferrets have become so popular (thanks in part to
pet stores) is why so much good legislation is being passed.  More and more
people are pushing for it.  Do you really think that all of the small
breeders could meet the demand for ferrets that is out there???  I've had
three pet store ferrets, two from Marshall Farms, and while I may not agree
with some of their business practices, I have to commend them for the
temperament and beauty of their ferrets.  Mine have been the most beautiful,
loving, even-tempered little creatures you have ever seen.

I planned to stay out of this and don't intend to post any more about it but
I'm getting tired of all the criticism about a company that has provided
many of us our introduction to the joy of ferret ownership.  I have two new
kits from a private breeder but it was a long road to get there.  Many
people don't want to go through all of the obstacles to get to a private
breeder.  As someone mentioned, rarely do they advertise.  I went in a
circle up the eastern seaboard and back before I found a breeder within
driving distance since most private breeders won't ship.

     Enough said.
     Katharine
     Lily, Lany, Blaze, and Champ