Date:
Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:00:53 EDT
Dear FML family:

For those of us with more than one ferret, I just wanted to share something
that I do to TRY and insure attention to all of my guys.  It may save a
life now or down the road for one of you.

When one of my little guys is depressed over the death of another, or one
of my guys is ill and wants to crawl off and lie down in a warm dark spot
away from all of us-I try and do several things to monitor my guys.

One of those things is that when I give Bob C. chicken soup each morning:
The guy that is sick or depressed is the most important one to care for.
I make sure he or she eats that soup.  This could mean daily syringe
feedings, licking off of finger, or sitting on lap and licking up soup off
of plate.  Allow the time.

Sometimes my guys don't want that soup.  Maybe it spoiled or is not warm
enough or stinky enough.  I warm it up some more first--not HOT-warm.  If
that does not work, I add a stinky chicken bite and smash it down with a
fork and stir.  If that does not work, I add a little ferretone.  If my
guy still won't eat-I let it go for that meal.

Dinner I do the same.  If my guy won't eat-I try another batch.  Could be
my guy is trying to tell me the chicken soup I froze in that particular bag
has gone bad.  Try your best to Pay attention to those sick and depressed
guys.

I was too busy to do this yesterday.  I put out the soup, but could not sit
with Little at dinner when he would not eat the soup for breakfast.  I saw
him waddle around.  But then I lost him in the gigantic house(ha-ha) that I
have.

I was not ha-ha-ing this morning.  I picked up Little this
morning-determined to get soup in him.  He cried and piddled all down the
front of me.  He continued crying.  I set him in the litter box in the
kitchen where he sprawled.  I got some nutrical and Pred in him, heated up
some soup, and sat with him.  He ate without me forcing anything down.  He
took two tea cup saucers full all on his own on my lap, and was walking
around again in 10 minutes.

One day without making sure he ate-AND ate nurishing food-and he collapsed.

The guys are pushing Little away from toys, treats, water, and food.  I see
this all the time now.  I see this all the time because I take the time to
observe them.  He would probably be starved and dehydrated if I put him in
a cage with the others.  So I don't do this.

Include that sick one in your daily routine.  Observe his behavior and the
interactions with others.  If I had not done this, I would not have a clue
as to what happened to Little this morning.

Hope this extends the life of even one little one out there.

Lisette--saying a special Hello to Lizzie and Fang.

P.S.  President Clinton is speaking at our church this Thursday on how to
be a good leader.  Not on how sorry and repentant he is for his dishonesty.
I am VERY disappointed in my church leaders concerning this.  I smell
politics in my church.

Just goes to show me what I already know:
We all make mistakes and are imperfect.

Lisette