Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:42:58 -0400
Thank you to all the responses I received regarding my "hearing".  I
did some research, and had all my facts lined up when I walked into the
"judgement room" yesterday at work.  I ran into my "Rescue Chief" in the
hallway at headquarters, and he asked "what brings you up here?"  He knew
nothing about my hearing!!!  I asked him to attend.  In attendance:
Deputy Fire Chief, Rescue Chief, "prosecuting" Personnel Chief, Fire
Chief's secretary, a city employee relations guy, myself, and 3 union
representatives (on my side).  I was read the charges of "neglect of duty"
by the "prosecutor" (Personnel Chief) and asked if I had any statements.

I not only had a few statements, but I had a lot of evidence to support
myself.  I told him that the charges were a "misrepresentation of the
truth", and I was being disciplined for being an open, honest, and
truthful person.  I had a lot more to say- I surprised myself at how well
I represented myself under such BS charges, and even quoted the Act Capt's
words at the time when I left: "chief called and said (name) is coming
from station # 11, and it would be nice if you could stay, but you're a
'grown woman' and it's your decision." I ask you - does this sound like a
direct order?  I have 14 1/2 + years in the US Air Force, and know what an
order is.

I apologize for this post being long, but the support I receive means more
than you can imagine.

Within the charges, it states that "You were also advised that you should
not leave until your relief person arrived at the station.  You left duty
at 1715 hours, and your relief arrived at 1845 hours." I did research on
that.  I did indeed leave at 1715 hrs.  If my relief person didn't arrive
until 1845 hrs, according to that station's log book (legal document), how
could his name be on a 911 incident report (legal document) at 1737 hours?

I had plenty more to say... I had numerous other facts with male coworkers
leaving without being relieved.  I never in my entire life ever dreamed
that I would deal with 'sexual harassment', anyone that knows me knows that
for a fact, but here it is ..."you are herby (I think they meant hear by),
suspended for one duty day (9.6 hours), effective August 24, 2000 at 0730
hours and returning to duty at 1710 hours on August 24, 2000; and if this
form of corrective discipline does not improve your performance, a more
severe type will be administered do you have any comments?" "See you at the
next step Chief", I said.

Well, now it's in the union's hand- they are filing a grievance against
the 3.5 hrs that was already docked from my pay, and the 9.6 hours of
suspension.  They heard the truth from me, along with evidence, and they
didn't care.  I almost called the local news hotline, but I'll wait until
the grievance procedures conclude.  In the meantime, I am doing more
research, and documenting everything.  There are several past cases of
sexual harassment against the department, and the results were that some
women just quit, one got a huge settlement, and one is still being harassed
on the job.  When are they going to wake up?  By the way, one of the union
guys did take the time to ask who Gizmo was doing.  I had to slightly
increase her pediapred, but she is doing ok.

I even pulled the animal ordinances and told them that they wanted me to
break the law by putting her where they suggested- they still didn't care.
The administration seems to be more corrupt than expected.  Politics- huh?

Thanks again- I'll keep you posted!

Most appreciative, Diane Hinck, Gizmo, Sammy & Nipper