From:
Mark Kemp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 1994 08:55:21 -0700 (PDT)
To Michelle Z. Metta
RE:  Baby Gates

Depending on the construction, it does seem possible a ferret could climb
one -- I never saw one that didn't seem like a ferret could get under,
around, or over.  But I made several "ferret gates" in various houses,
out of plywood.  I made them just tall enough the ferrets couldn't hook
their toes on the top and pull themselves over, but short enough we could
step over them without too much difficulty.  One of them was hinged on
one side, with a hook and eye latch on the other, so it could be swung
out of the way when not needed.  The others, in places not suitable for a
hinged door, I made removeable this way:  I put two eye screws on each
side of the door, near the top and the bottom, and matching eye screws in
the doorway, offset vertically just enough so the eyescrews would overlap
each other, then put "pins" through the eyescrews.  The "pins" can be any
bolt or screw, etc. that will fit through the eyehooks, and has a head.
Or you can use a long wire (coat hanger wire works well) that will reach
through both top and bottom hooks, with the top looped so it doesn't slip
through.  The latter is more convenient than separate pins.