From:
Sheena Staples <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 01:22:47 -0700
>Needless to say I was quite upset by this and still am which is why
>I'm writing to you......I'm just frightened that Logan is "going bonkers"
>since he's been tossed around so much and made to live in his own filth.

My first suggestion to you is to steal the ferrets and run, as it doesn't
sound like he's a good owner at all.  It's not uncommon for a 7 year old
ferret to pass on, as that is a fairly ripe old age, but the condition of
Logan is appalling.  Thanks to some jerk who beat my Joopie everytime he
wouldn't go in the litter box, Joopie is now terrified of litterboxes and
will only use it if he's in the tiniest of cages.  This sounds terrible to
me and this man should not have ferrets.  My suggestion remains the same...
next time you walk out on him, do it for good and take the ferrets with you.
Nobody should be forced to live with someone like that.

>So does any one have a deaf ferret?  How did you realize that they had a
>hearing problem?

My friend Pat has a deaf ferret named Pepsi who came from the local SPCA.
It was fairly obvious he was deaf after a short period of time because when
she'd shake her treats container, all would come running except for him, so
she'd have to go get him.  One day we had him out on a walk and a loud
motorcycle went by...  all the ferrets freaked out, got puffy, ran backward,
you name it, except Pepsi who went on his merry way.  He is also much louder
than the other ferrets and squeals and dooks with great abandon.  It doesn't
seem to affect him much and he is very sweet tempered.  If the tests you did
with screaming and sqeaking showed no response, I would guess your ferret is
indeed deaf.  You just need to make sure she is aware of you before you come
upon her and go get her when it's treat time.  I'm betting she'll be a great
pet in no time.

I would like everyone to keep my BooBoo and Ashley in their thoughts the
next little while, as they are both going in to the vet to have tumours
removed from face and haunch (respectively).  We are worried about Ashley as
she is so small and weak that putting her under may be scary.  And BooBoo
we're just plain worried about because he's my extra special baby and the
vet says that removing the tumour on his face is a little more difficult and
BooBoo may end up with a permanent sneer.  (Now it'll be impossible to tell
what he thinks of me, although I always suspected whatever he thinks would
have a sneer attached anyway).

Thanks,

Sheena
Ferrets & Friends Club & Rescue E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
"dedicated to the preservation of the domestic ferret as a
 household pet", a no-kill, not-for-profit ferret facility.
For more information about the FFCR try our homepage:
< http://www.geopages.com/Colosseum/1575 >