From:
bs906431 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:46:40 +0200
Hi all,

it seems like some of the Belgian ferretpeople are starting to use me as
an automatic pass-through for the questions they don't immediately know an
answer to.  I don't mind though, it makes me feel a little helpfull and as
long as I can help the young ferretcommunity here in Belgium It'll be a
pleasure to do so.

The question they asked me to pass on today is about the use of dairy
products.

Everybody knows that it isn't to good to give dairy products in large
amounts to ferrets due to their lactose intolerance, but where do you
draw the line?  One lick..., two..., a teaspoon full,... Mine only get
some when they are faster than me and manage to steal some.

On top of that, sometimes you read about the use of whipping cream and
heavy cream as a last resort to trick a ferret to eat at least something.
(is there actually a difference?  I'm sorry if I sound stupid but since
English differs a lot from Dutch I do the best I can. :o) )  Even in the
recepies of "ducksoup" sometimes dairy products are used.

The biggest problem of all is the fact that when people, new to the
business, come for advice during a ferretmeeting and you tell them "milk
products are allowed but with moderation" their attention span seems to get
lost after the first 4 words. :-<  When afterwards diarrhea problems occur
your advice backfires and suddenly you're the bad guy giving bad advice and
your club/shelter isn't worth sh...

Soooo people....., anyone got a good word of advice or do we simply tell
them to use the "trial-and-error" method and start spray-painting their
walls. (o;

Stef, the-one-with-the-not-spray-painted-walls.