From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 15:30:39 -0500
Ulysses is not doing well.  He's our bi-lateral, insulinomic, esophagus
stricture where it empties into the stomach little one.  He has fluid
accumulation in the abdomen and what appears to be possible gas in the
stomach.

Blood work is fine.  Glucose is 70 after only 1cc of food at 2:30 and test
was at 6 (he is on pred and hadn't had his evening dose).  Xrays showed
normal heart and lungs, esophagus looked o.k.  (Larry thought it might have
ruptured), kidneys, and showed distended stomach.  No sores in mouth or as
far as we can see in the throat.  Does have a tiny ulceration on left side
tip of tongue.  Gums are pink.

Last night Larry tried acupuncture and gave him a lasix injection, took
blood, xrays, and physical exam.  We were there for 2 hours trying to
figure out what is wrong.

Ulysses symptoms are: stuffy nose, lethargy - just lays there staring,
won't use hind end but has feeling when toes are squeezed, pain in abdomen
(tightens and moans when palpated),pain in larnyx area (cringes, moans),
arches his body backwards (as in seizure type stance), paws at his mouth
(but glucose isn't that low).  Ulysses is in a lot of pain.  I've given him
torbugesic injections and they do seem to take the pain away for several
hours and he actually ate 18cc of recipe while under the influence and kept
it down.  The lasix released some fluid but he only filled back up again.
He is also on Baytril and Amoxi in addition to his pred and Zantac.

We can't figure out where the fluid in the abdomen is coming from or why
he is in so much pain.  Any ideas?  I'm afraid if we can't figure this out
soon I'll have to let him go.  He is in so much pain that he whimpers and
cries and it is tearing me apart..... We've both tried so hard and come so
far....

I only have email during the work day.  My telephone numbers are:
785-532-0400 Mon-Fri 7:45-11:30 & 1:00-4:30, or evenings at 785-456-8337
after 5:30 central time.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services