From:
Sheri Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 00:27:30 -0500
Hi all ...

I did write to Gary-the-newspaperman about where I saw an (old) article
about "feret-legging" ... But I also explained that the last things ferrets
need in California right now is any kind of negative press.  Then I went on
and on (and on) about what pet ferrets are like (and I'm sure you all know
by now how I can go on and on!), and refuted some info in the
"ferret-legging" article.  The article I read said they put hungry ferrets
down their pants, and I told Gary that if my ferrets were hungry, all they'd
do is sniff around looking for kibble, and that the ferrets used for
"legging" must be made mean intentionally, which I think is a horrible thing
to do to any animal.

I also encouraged him to do some research and write a positive article about
domestic ferrets, and that if he wanted a really good story, to trace the
sources of the DF&G information and expose them for the liars that they are!

Ok, ear licking.  I've seen solutions to this problem here, but of course,
since I wasn't having the problem at the time, I didn't pay close attention.
When I got home from work tonight, my tiny girl's ear was neon-pink and wet,
and very sore-looking.  Poor girl.  My Pepper holds her down and licks and
chews on her ears like crazy.  I've started putting bitter apple on her ears
and neck and throat to discourage this stuff, but I've only been doing it
when they're out running around.  And apparently Pepper got her really good
tonght while I was at work.  The ear looks much to raw to put bitter apple
on it now--I think the alcohol content would hurt it.

So now what?  The only way I can see the poor dear keeping her ear (I might
have to change her name to "Evander") is if I cage her separately during nap
times.  I hate the thought of this because I know Mort and Uno will really
miss her, but the "separate" cage really isn't big enough for more than 1.
It's the cage BB came in, and I only kept it in case someone got sick and
had to be separated.  Of course, unlike BB at his old home, Princess will
only have to sleep in the cage, and she'll still get "run time" with all the
boys 3 times a day.  Then when her ear heals, I'll put bitter apple LOTION
(maybe it'll stay longer than the spray) on her ears during and after
runtime and see how it goes.

Please e-mail me any other suggestions!

Oh, I asked Mike Rayburn about Fishhead--she died in 1993 (but was the
sweetest ferret in the whole world, he swears) and soon after losing her he
got Pogo-Bongo and Poptart--eternal lover of ferrets!

Everyone take care and give your fuzzies Kodo-kisses!

--Sheri

"Until our paths find us together
        may you forever
          go in peace."
--Mike Rayburn (comic entertainer and acoustic rock artist)