From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 1995 13:35:30 -0400
Marshall Farms is the larest single breeder of ferrets in this country.  If
you get your ferret at a pet store it is most likely a Marshall Ferret.  If
you already have your ferret and it came from Marshall then you have nothing
to be concerned about.  They are fine ferrets - personalities better than
most other breeders (including my own).  Don't worry about the trash talk
going around it has been circulating for years.

[Moderator's note: It may be trash talk to you, but it is a genuine concern
to others.  I'm not taking sides in this issue, per se, but I am insulted by
any subscriber labeling the opinions of others as "trash talk" - plenty of
GOOD evidence was presented on both sides of the issue to enable readers to
make up their own minds about this.  Please, you don't need to try to make
their decisions for them.  And ditto for the anti-MF folks too, please! BIG]

What the tattoos were originally was an internal method for MF to know
whether a kit had been neutered or not.  Other breeders have started to use
the same markings - some for the same reason - others to sneak ferrets into
pet stores without bothering to neuter them.  Msot of the latter seem to be
somewhere in the South.

Don't worry about the tattoos.  If you have a good ferret it is really the
most important thing isn't it?

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets