From:
Dee McNally <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 1996 08:30:32 -0600
Just a couple of questions---

I have noticed several comments that male ferrets should weigh or do weigh
around 3-5 pounds.  My Alexander weighs about a pound, and has ever since we
have had him.  He eats very well, (sometimes too much too fast, and he gets
the hiccups).  I make sure that he has food in his bowl constantly.  I
assume that he will know when he is hungry and when he is not.  I feed him
Happy Cat, which he has been on since the beginning.  Is his weight normal?
I know I am going to get alot of mail telling me I should change him to
ferret food, but he likes the food he has now.  I just want him to be happy.
(Hence the name of the cat food :)  Whenever we take him to the vet, she
seems okay with his weight.  Most ferrets that she has seen have been
bigger, but she doesn't seem to be concerned with his weight.  (And just to
eliminate any responses I may or may not get concerning my vet, she is very
nice and explains everything, which I like, and she is also the only ferret
vet around this area.  At least that I have found!)

(May be he is just "normal".  All pets that we have or have had,
are/were a little       strange.  We use to own a rabbit who LIKED to bite
electrical cords to get         shocked!)

Also, I have been considering ferretproofing the bedroom so he can roam when
we get home until the next morning.  Problem: Alexander is not very
litter-trained, nor have I been able to train him.  If I move his cage from
the living room to the bedroom, what do you think my chances are that he
will go back to his chosen corner to potty?  I think they are zip.  I
imagine he will find his own spot in the room, which concerns me since he is
much more capable of getting under the bed than I am.

I will appreciate any responses I get.  Thanks!!!!!!!!!!