From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 1997 10:08:41 -0500
>From Jean Bush <[log in to unmask]>
>Can anyone tell me what a ferret's normal temp should be and about how long
>this will probably last?  Is there anything I can do for the sneezing or is
>it something that will run it's course?

Normal temp is 101-103 F; 104 is a borderline fever.  For sneezing and
congestion, Dr. Susan Brown has said, "The antihistamine product
Chlor-Trimeton may be used at 1/4 tablet 2 times daily for sneezing that may
interfere with sleeping or eating."

A cold/flu in a ferret is treated much like a human's: try to get him to
drink a lot, make sure he's warm and out of drafts, give him meat baby food
or Duck Soup if he's not eating well, and keep an eye out for any
complications.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>My questions are: How serious is an enlarged spleen?  Is there a test for
>it?  Is there any answer besides surgery?

Some answers can be found in the Medical FAQ on Enlarged Spleens. Look at
http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/faq/med/spleen.html
or send email to <[log in to unmask]> with the command
SEND ENLARGED SPLEEN FERRET
in the body of the message.

--
- Pam Greene