From:
Rachel Zuckerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 16:56:21 -0700
Hi everyone,
I've been so busy lately I've been reading the FML only sparingly and
posting even less, but I'd just like to let you all know what ended up
happening with Lola, who was diagnosed with "possible adrenal disease"
about a year ago.

I've been an intern at a vet's office (where I just happen to take my
animals) for about three months now.  A few weeks ago Lola got her blood
tested for abnormal hormone levels.  I read the file and a few of them
were off the charts-- I don't remember specifically which hormome it was
but one was supposed to have a norm of around 15... Lola's was 130.  This
confirmed what we had pretty much figured, and the vet said the next step
was exploratory surgery.

The surgery took place this past friday-- and working in the vet's
office, I got to assist.  It was really fascinating (said the pre-vet
student in me, while the Lola's-paranoid-mom part thought "OH MY GOD,
THOSE ARE MY BABY'S INTESTINES ON THE TABLE", not to be disgustingly
graphic).  The surgeon kept a running commentary on everything he was
doing and everything we were looking at-- at one point he actually said
"I just want to take a look at her cute little spleen."

Anyway, her left adrenal gland was indeed abnormal, thankfully the right
one was fine.  The left gland was removed and is going to be biopsied.
After she was all put back together (yeech!) and sewn up, I was a bit
scared because she felt so cold after being under the anesthesia.  No
worry- we packed her in with so many blankets and pads and hot water
bottles, there was about 1% Lola in that cage to 99% blanket.  I got to
take her home the next day, with a bald belly and a big 7-staple incision
scar that looks like a zipper.  All she wanted to do was sleep for a
couple days, but now she wants to play!  I was instructed to "keep her
quiet," but she's getting so bored in her cage!  I let her out for a few
minutes today, and she actually wagged her little tail at me and dashed
out the door.  She seems to be doing great, not a huge appetite but
acting like Lola-- she just holds her belly way off the ground when she
runs.

I want to wish anyone the best of luck who's in a similar situation,
sorry to make this so long but this is one of the few places I can
share a story like this!

Love to everyone and their fuzzies,
Rachel, Pukka, Sebastian, and Lola (on the mend!)

=====
"Go ahead, call the cops
You don't meet nice girls in coffee shops"
                      -- Tom Waits