From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:13:21 -0700
>From:    swamp <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: The "cost" of legalizing ferrets/CA acquisition
>Dick Bossart asked:
>>Does anyone out in CA land have access to data or a sound estimate on how
>>much money the State is now putting out to harass, investigate, jail, and
>>publish anti-ferret literature.

>I'd sure like to know these figures also, but they're not something that CA
>Fish & Game will release to us willingly.  When asked to justify its budget,
>F&G probably pumps the $$$ up.

FOIA!  They have to tell you.  FOIA everything that they submit for budget
proposals and they HAVE to give it to you.

Wonderful tool the Freedom of Information Act has become.  Very little a
state governemnt does is unreachable through this.  All you have to know is
that a document or file exists.  Ferret population and control is hardly
national security so they'll have a hard time refusing.

Ever wanted a chance to get back at them?  Here you go.  Request enough
information that they have to devote one person to doing the FOIA requests
and then they can't use that person to harass ferrets <grin>

----
I borrowed the below from an animal rights group (take help where you can
get it) Animal Emancipation, Inc. in California...

http://www.envirolink.org/arrs/ae/foia.html
-----
|As a taxpaying citizen you are entitled to certain types of information
|collected by federal and state governments. Both state and federal
|Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) laws require the release of certain
|public documents upon request. [...]  In most cases, duplication costs
|for FOIA material must be Aassumed by the requester (average cost, $.10
|per page); however, in certain instances, fee waivers are available.
|When contacting state and federal agencies, ask what criteria determines
|the costs of duplication.

I'm not able to determine if these folks are anti-pet or not...

 ----
http://www.eff.org/pub/Legislation/Foreign_and_local/CA/ca_legis_online.faq
 ----
If you want to follow legislation from your computer...
 ----

-----
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/org/cserve.html
-----
If you want to look up email accounts for F&G employees on Compuserve... a
little less anonymous that way.  I wouldn;t advise using these addresses to
harrass folks.  Not good for ferrets to be represented by harrassing bullies.

-----

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/