From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 1995 13:23:00 -0700
Hi Pamela,

I'm a pilot and ferret owner.  I thought I'd give a different perspective
than your pilot friend about the possibilities of flying ferrets into CA.

I believe there is almost no way that anyone would ever figure out that
you had flown ferrets anywhere in a private plane (unless it was from
another country, requiring a Customs inspection).  Even if you had a
surprise FAA ramp inspection, my friend Judy (an FAA inspector) says the
inspector would not be there to enforce non-Federal (i.e., California
anti-ferret) laws.  Also, without a search warrant, probable cause, or
your permission, the inspector would not legally be able to inspect your
luggage.  (This is another reason to have a discreet, maybe even loosely
covered, porta-kennel instead of a giant cage--you'd want a good kennel
anyway because ferrets running amok in the cabin could interfere with
safe flight.)

I've only heard of one ramp inspection in the 10 years that I've been a
pilot, and I'm pretty sure that they only happen if someone informs the
FAA that you have broken an FAR (Federal Aviation Regulation).

Dennis
P.S.  It is still easy to bypass the California Ag inspection station
driving in from Reno on I-80.