From:
Ann Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 1997 08:59:32 -0400
With the addition of 2 new ones, all of a sudden my perfectly potty trained
ferrets (yeah right!) have been less then perfect.  Only one new corner has
been added to the orignal potty configuration, but all of a sudden box
accuracy has become minimal.

Funny thing, if I see Eris and Massey go for the potty corner and I watch
them, they use the box.  They know!  If I follow them (they don't think I'm
looking)then see them back into a corner away from the box and I say "ahhh I
see you!" they hop right in the box!

The new ones, well Li'l Iodine and Sluggo KNOW boxes are for pooping, but so
are corners and the area near boxes.  I suspect it will take time, praise
and firm correction and cleaning accidents up real well.

So I've come up with some ways to keep litter boxes in the right place and
my wood floors scent free!

I took clear vynil carpet protector and used #4 3/8" wood screws to anchor
it to the wood floor.  I cut it to fit 1" up the baseboards in each litter
place corner.  To keep the boxes from being pushed around I used #12 screw
eyes, which I screwed through the box and into the baseboards to hold the
litter box in place.  This works well cause they can be unscrewed by hand
for easy box cleaning.  1 scew eye per box seems to work.  If you have big
huge ferrets, you might want to try more fasteners.

So far, so good.  Accidents don't seep into the floors of my old house and
it is a lot easier to convince a ferret to NOT use a place that smells like
the last time she/he used it.

Ann