From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 1998 10:38:24 -0400
>Free Baby To a Good Home
>
>We just got a new ferret so the baby has to go.
>
>Two year old female, answers to the name, Chelsea....
>(the Other kat)

Normally, I don't like to take in strange children.  Ferrets are OK, but
children tend to come with unusual (and usually bad) tendencies that only
grow with time.

I have six ferrets that are at least out of the "kit" stage, so I guess I
could help with the free baby thing.  I have a new cage to put her in, so I
won't need yours (unless you have to get rid of it, too).  I do have a few
questions, though.

First, do you have appropriate toys for the baby?  What have you been
feeding it?  Will you be willing to provide some samples to help with the
transition to cat food?  Will the baby even *eat* cat food?  If not, what
else to you recommend?

Second, you mentioned that all shots are up to date.  Has it had the regular
childhood diseases yet (mumps, measles, etc.)?  Can the child walk normally?
Can it speak yet?  Are there any medical problems you can tell me about?

Third, why is the baby free?  Didn't you know what you were getting into
before having the child?  Didn't you realize that *everybody* gets a ferret
eventually and that the baby might not work out?  Have you been to
councelling to see if keeping the baby is an option?

Finally, how much exercise has the baby been getting?  Do you let her have
free run of the house?  Does she play in the toilet or bathtub?  Does she
get into the cabinets and drag things out when company is around?  Does she
throw up on the carpet in difficult-to-get-to places?  Does she crawl under
the furniture and go to sleep, refusing to wake up when you want to put her
back in her cage?

I may think of other questions, but these are important before I help you
out with this baby.  After all, NO ONE should get a baby until they are
ready to take care of it for the rest of their lives.  And remember, it's
always better to get your baby from a shelter, rather than going off and
having one of your own! :)

Todd and the (Oh, so we're a comedian now, huh?) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!
---
http://users.success.net/toddl/