From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 1994 14:11:27 -0500
2.5> I just got another ferret.  How can I introduce him/her to my old
     one(s) with the least trouble?

[begin MW]
Limit exposure (give the new guy his own cage) for the first few days
until he/she is accepted.  Also, monitor interaction to prevent
"getting to know you" scuffles and "I'm the head ferret" demonstra-
tions from getting out of hand.

[begin PG]
Ferret play can look pretty rough, especially the kinds of dominance
"arguments" an established ferret is likely to have with a new one.
Generally ferrets won't actually injure each other, but careful
supervision is required at first.  To prevent biting, you can try
spraying Bitter Apple (see question 3.1) on the new ferret.  Keeping
the new ferret separated, but in sight/smell of the old one (e.g., in
a neighboring cage) can help speed familiarity, as can putting the new
pet in the old one's cage or sleeping area while the other one's not
there.  Within a week or two they should get along all right and can
share a cage, food dish, and water bottle.  Of course, extreme cases
do exist, but the longest I've read about new-ferret problems lasting
is three months.

2.6> How can I introduce my ferret to my (dog/cat/bird/fish/rabbit/
     etc.) with the least trouble?

[begin MW]
For bird, goldfish, rabbit, or rodent type, introduce it as a meal.
Seriously, these animals are the ferret's "natural" prey--you wouldn't
introduce a cat to a mouse and expect them to get along, would you?
As for a dog or cat, introduce the ferret by holding him for the other
to smell, then put him on the floor and CLOSELY monitor interaction.
If your dog tends to chase cats, you may not want to let him play with
your ferret-- it all depends on the personality of your dog.  I would
guess the same would go for cats--I don't have any practical
experience here.

[begin PG]
I don't have any experience in this area, but I've heard that ferrets
get along with cats better if they're introduced when the cat is still
a kitten and is more willing to play.  I've read about ferrets getting
along with some birds, too, but extreme caution is advised.

[begin RN]
Ferrets and iguanas don't get along, either!