From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 11:23:24 -0400
From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>

>Melissa, I'm sure you know that giving pills with a laxative can cause
>them to pass undigested or insufficiently digested through the body, and
>isn't Petromalt a laxative?  ... DO check beforehand to make sure that the
>medicine being given can be given with fats, minerals, and vitamins...

Hm.  I mentioned using petromalt to both of the vets i've taken Noodle to,
and neither brought this up - both are excellent vets, imho.  I'm currently
using Ferretone, since it's less messy overall.  Picture me, a glob of
Petromalt, and a tiny pile of powder - i ended up with as much on my fingers
as got into Noodle, so... the past day or two i've been making a
suspension-type mixture with the Ferretone which Noodle laps right up.

I'll pass the Petromalt info along to the vets.

Anyway, Noodle is on 5.7 mg Baytril tabs, which I know can cause loose
stools - however, he seems to be having problems urinating now.  He runs
from corner to corner, starts to back up, and then runs away again.  Could
this be a sign of urinary tract infection?  if so, that might indicate that,
as Sukie mentioned, the pills werent getting digested and therefore Noodle
wasnt getting the proper amounts of meds.  Note: the vet prescribed Baytril
because he'd a significant amount of blood in his urine, and she wanted to
make sure he didnt get an infection.  Dr. Williams was kind enough to answer
a phoned question, and he said that the Ferretone/Linatone mix was a dandy
way to dose Noodle, as the fats in the Ferretone are easily absorbed and can
help with meds absorption.

Can someone mail me with some information on Baytril, or where to find some
medical literature on it?  I'm just curious...Thanks.

Melissa

[Moderator's note: Well, if you wanna do some searching, the generic name
is enrofloxacin and it is a veterinary-only drug.  A very similar drug used
in humans is ciprofloxacin.  BIG]