Date:
Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:45:21 -0400
Titusville Rescue

Saturday we gathered to face the challenge of the day.  To rescue an
unknown number of ferrets.  Ferrets crammed into a 25 x 25 foot shed.
Deprived of food, water, medical care, human contact.  Not knowing what
love is.  Not granted the dignity of a simple name.

We loaded our vehicles with empty carriers and cages and set out.  A knot
of fear for the condition of the ferrets was in my stomach.  Thoughts of
anger and rage filled my mind.  What type of person could allow this to
happen?  We set the carriers out along the staging area.  We were not
allowed to go to the hoarders house.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/Getting%20ready.JPG

All too soon they started coming.  Ferrets piled upon ferret.  Pat Elmore
of Dookie's House Ferret Rescue handled each ferret and gave them all a
quick check to see if immediate fluids were needed.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/the%20first%20rescues.JPG

Carrier after carrier full of ferrets were brought to safety.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/piling%20up.JPG

We transferred the poor guys to other cages with bedding and water to get
ready for transport.

I am not to sure of the actual amount of transport vehicles, I think
there were 7 in total.

I drove a Suburban.  This is it, partially filled.  There are 4 cages and
3 carriers in it already.  I think I stuck 4 more carriers in it.  Then
off I went to the Ferrets N Limbo shelter, an hour away, in Florida, at
noon.

I cranked the air conditioning all the way up.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/my%20truck.JPG

The real work started soon at the shelter.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/the%20first%20load.JPG

The wonderful volunteers set to work.  First the ferrets had their nails
clipped and their ears cleaned.  Pat was in charge of ears.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/Pat%20cleaning%20ears.JPG

He's an expert.  He caught any health concerns that needed immediate
attention.  Many were started on antibiotics that night.  There are a
number of adrenal and dental problems.

Then they went to get an ID number, due to the fact that they had no
names.  Then came baths.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/Baths.JPG

Then came play time!  Many of the poor dears had no idea how to play!  No
concept of toys.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/toys.JPG
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/can%20I%20play.JPG

I imagine the clean bedding and constant supply of water and food what a
shock to all of them.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/thank%20you.JPG

I had chill bumps just watching the excitement.  The dooks and dancing
that was starting to break out every where.  Of course, there were the
babies that fell asleep in the litter boxes.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/too%20pooped.JPG

These babies are so starved for attention.  They mob you begging to be
picked up and held.  A very heart wrenching thing to see.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/Pick%20me%20up%20please.JPG

Treats were unknown to them till now.  Ferret Tone is very much
appreciated.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/treats.JPG
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/ferret%20tone%20yum.JPG

Soon everyone was moved into clean houses.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/clean%20homes.JPG

This is only a small part of the cages that are being used.  The ferrets
were given a color code to identify them.  While we were caging them,
some how we ended up with a section full of white ferrets only.  Many
of the volunteers have said that this rescue has the most white ferrets
they had ever seen.  More than 100 ferrets were rescued.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/the%20white%20house.JPG

A giant thank you for all the generous donations.  Your generosity has
not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/donations%201.JPG
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/donations%202.JPG
http://www.animalsoup.net/members/klutzyruth/donations%203.JPG

Ferrets N Limbo will be needing food, litter, medical supplies and funds
for ongoing veterinary treatment and ADV testing.  Please give all you
can.  Visit their website to donate via paypal or for addresses.

http://www.ferrets-n-limbo.org/

Thank you all. Ruth Craig aka: klutzyruth