From:
Rochelle Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 1997 11:02:29 -0600
>Of course I know to leave the vet's number I will also call the vet to
>advise him she will be watching the little angels.  What am I forgetting?

Leave a signed letter at the vet or with the sitter (or both) saying that
you authorize the sitter and your vet to perform any life-saving actions
they deem necessary, and that you agree to pay for any vet bills resulting
from this, even if they can't get ahold of you to confirm.  This is good
advice ANY time you have someone else watching your animals, be they
ferrets, dogs, or whatever.  Otherwise, the sitter might hesitate, waiting
to get ahold of you, rather than bringing the ferrets to the vet at the
first sign of trouble.  The signed letter will likely make her less hesitant
about going to the vet (she knows she won't get stuck footing the bill
herself).  And, it will make the vet feel a little more secure, in the case
of a serious problem, of going ahead and doing whatever is necessary.
Hopefully, the sitter and vet would have done so, anyway -- but I think this
type of letter will make them less likely to hesitate.

 Rochelle Newman              [log in to unmask]
 Department of Psychology     (319) 335-2417
 University of Iowa           (319) 335-0191 (fax)
 11 Seashore Hall E
 Iowa City, IA 52242-1407
 http://www.psychology.uiowa.edu/Faculty/Newman.html