From:
Chip Gallo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1992 11:20:29 -0400
Chris - I "vote" for the moderated, []commented version as you have been
doing. IMHO, auto-pilot stuff is choppy and more time consuming to keep
up with. Comments often handle a question immediately that I might feel
inclined to answer. I REALLY appreciate not having to wade through bogus,
hateful or moronic posts.

I have seen two occasions where private mail became public. One was
detailed in the most recent FML and the other was from a writer in

[Coyote's message wasn't private email.]

Colorado who has since adopted an anti-BBS/network stance in a national
ferret publication.

[What!?  Who?  Can you send me an example of this "stance"?  Bizarre.]

This may be an area to explore for better policy as
a writer's inexperience or unfamiliarity with FML addresses shouldn't
result in his or her private mail becoming the talk of the global
village by accident. And I realize that you can't guarantee privacy.
But perhaps a FAQ with clear explanations of the list address versus
any of your "private" e-mail addresses would help prevent these
admittedly few occurrences.

Thanks for your work over the years. As you know, readers on GEnie
and CompuServe also follow the FML, so we're talking about a sizeable
audience here. That doesn't happen by accident!

<Chip Gallo>