From:
Rick Riley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 1997 17:56:01 -0400
shavings, I am of the opinion that no shavings are a good alternative!  What
you want to avoid is not only the caustic aeromatic oils but the minute
particles that can be breathed into the lungs.  Also, is the floor of your
cage covered or are the ferrets walking on the wire.  OUCH!!  This can cause
deformity of the paws.  I do have an inexpensive solution which works great
and is healthy too.

The Walmart(my second home) pet department has a thick imitation lamb's wool
pet rug which can be cut to fit your cage floor and is washable.  It runs
about $8.00.  Under the cage floor where you used to put shavings you can
use geriatric underbed pads found in the pharmacy dept.  next to the adult
diapers.  Walmart's brand (I think it's Assure)is so cheap in comparison to
National brands ($5.50 for 18 count).  I put these under the cage floor to
catch any spilled water catch any food and God forbid any messy mistakes
that the floor mat doesn't catch.  They are absorbant and with a washable
pet rug above them they last a long time.  I do masking tape them down just
so they don't shift.  These are also helpful under or around litter pans to
help reduce the stress of mommies who's furkid insists on going beside the
pan.

See you at Walmart and Happy ferreting.
Carin Riley and the S-Capades (Stinky{ghost ferret},Squeaky,
Socrates{Socks},Sneakers,Snuggles,Sweetpea,Spike,Sassy,Sadie and Sue)