From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:06:18 -0500
>if they just get the canine distemper, or feline distemper, or both, and
>should they get their Rabies and distemper shots at the same time or
>about a week apart?

Just the canine distemper - ferrets do not get feline distemper.  Separate
the rabies and distemper shots by at least a week - I prefer two or three
weeks.  And remember to stay at your vet's office for at least a half hour
following the vaccines, so that any reaction can be treated immediately.

>Also, should we request any type of blood work to make sure everything is
>fine?  Can adrenal disease be detected through bloodwork, or is that a
>guessing thing for the vet?

At this age, I would recommend at minimum a cell count and a blood sugar
check to screen for insulinoma.  A blood test is available for adrenal
disease, but is expensive, and most of the time the diagnosis is made
based on clinical signs.

Dr. Ruth
Save lives - spay or neuter your pet.