From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2000 10:22:36 EST
>The Hertzogs have been unfairly involved in a controversay concerning
>Aleutians Disease since last August.  The Hertzogs did have possession of
>a diseased ferret.  They did not know what the problem was.  The took it
>to their vet who confirmed Aleutians disease.  The ferret died.  Upon
>learning of the problem, they took several steps.  First, they had all
>ferrets in their possession tested for the disease.  Second, they publicly
>announced that they had a problem.  Third, they returned a number of other
>ferrets that tested positive for the disease to the prior owner.  Since
>then, they have been maligned, criticized, badmouthed and harassed
>throughout the ferret community.  In my opinion, some people, for whatever
>reason, are out to destroy their reputation, means of making a living, and
>the shelter they operate.

The biggest problem with the Hertzog's, and the others that put on the show
last year is that you failed to have a vet check, and had a show in July
with no air conditioning.  Both failures put a lot of ferrets at grave
risk.  Had there been a vet check, the two Jills ready to give birth (this
is where the AD problem began) wouldn't have been allowed into the show
hall.  This is not saying that a vet check is a guarantee that no illness
will be passed.  But not having a vet check was utterly irresponsible.

>Had the Hertzogs never said anything this would have all probably blown
>over by now.  However, they wanted to act responsibly.  They had all of
>their ferrets tested for Alutians Disease.  Subsequently, people have
>criticized them for having them tested too early and that they should be
>tested again.  The Hertzogs are not wealthy and simply cannot comply with
>that request.

It is an easy test to perform at home, without a vet.  You simply clip a
nail, collect the blood in a heperanized hemacrit tube, and send it off
to United for testing (call them first).  They charge $10~ per test.

>I am quite sure if people on the FML or those people who are most
>concerned are willing to donate money, the Hertzogs would be more than
>happy to have all fuzzies retested.  The previous testing cost about
>$1,200 so get out your checkbooks.

See my above response.

>The Hertzogs have been villified in the ferret community because of this
>problem.  However, they were the first ones to make it public just to
>avoid the panic and hysteria that has occurred.  They should not under
>any circumstances be criticized becase they brought the problem to the
>public.

The criticism is over the irresponsible behavior of not having a vet check
and questioning the cost of testing that they claim.  If they did spend
that much, perhaps a frank discussion with their vet on certain costs is
in order.

>Second, many people have cancelled their participation in our 02/05/00
>show.  This may mean that the show itself will have to be cancelled.  As a
>member of the sponsoring club, I am not inclined to do a lot of work if
>the show will lose money.  That accomplishes nothing.  What is even more
>tragic is that many people are staying away because of a problem that may
>not even exist.  They will not have the opportunity to enjoy the company
>of the ferret community, show their ferrets and buy things to support
>vendors and other shelters and clubs.  I suggest that not having a show
>will hurt any number of breeders, rescues and people who are just trying
>to make a living.

Again, perhaps the REAL reason people are staying away is the lack of vet
check, poor facilities (there was no a/c, will there be heat??) and not
wanting to travel into PA during snowy February.  After the Pittsburgh
show's experience with a February storm last year, many are wary.  So maybe
you need to rethink your issues here.

>Third, the Hertzogs have been asked to not participate in other shows.  If
>they do, other vendors will not participate in those shows.  Not ony does
>this hurt Clarence and Shirley Hertzog but others in the ferret community
>as well.

They were asked not to bring ferrets to the York show, but were never asked
not to come.  Just wanted to set the record straight here.

>Fourth, I have been advised that both LIFE and AFA judges have been
>ordered not to attend and judge at our show even though our show is not a
>sanctioned show.  Once again, from my perspective, this is a silly
>response.

Again, setting the record straight, it is the lack of vet check and poor
facilities which concern LIFE.  LIFE has not told any judge that they can
not judge at a non-LIFE sanctioned event, however they are strongly
cautioned to be careful of who they judge for, and they are asked to use
discretion in judging for groups who do not utilize prudent measures such
as vet check and a sanitary judging area.  Next time you make a statement
like that, I suggest you check your facts first.

Anne Ryan
President, LIFE