Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:31:58 -0600
>Has anyone ever had ferrets that just couldn't be kept with other
>ferrets or one that got along with some but not all.

Absolutely. In the 2011 Ferrets USA magazine, there is a picture of an
adorable chocolate boy, kissing me. This is Bradley. No ferretone or
other enticement was placed on my face. He`s that loving---to humans.
With other ferrets, it`s another story. Bradley is an only, as are a
few here, and he has seperate playtimes, as do they. I am Bradley`s
playmate, and he gets out of the cage early in the morning, or late
at night, with me, when the phone isn`t ringing.

We have Snickers & Bacardi. Little Snickers only gets along with
Bacardi -- but Bacardi can run with others. They run together --
seperately from the other ferrets.

Poor old Cosmo is the last of Misti`s group ( from North Dakota.) He
only got along with his own group--and I am his playmate now.

Suede & Swagger (not on our site yet) do not do well with others--
only each other.

Ashley does not care for other ferrets.

Dia (not on our site yet) is our only non-Marshall ferret. HE believes
other ferrets would be good for lunch!!!

We are babysitting a split group right now. They need seperate
playtimes, or there will be blood-curdling screams!!!!

Life is short. Ferrets get stressed easily, & get ulcers. We hope for
an attitude of indifference, when introducing for the first time. If we
see some aggression, we try not to intervene for a few seconds, because
they may work it out-- but if we see screaming, fright poo, or EXTREME
aggression (blood, gashes, violently shaking the other like a rag doll,
& slamming its head on the ground) that`s it for that ferret. It will
be an only, or limited to its group. We will not allow the ferrets here
to be terrorized.

Sometimes it helps to cage the new one seperately for a while, & let it
observe the others at play. Ferrets are extremely intelligent, and some
begin to understand that the others are not a threat. If there were
just some minor scuffles during the first introduction(s) it may have
been that the newbie was not used to others---maybe afraid--so it was
on the offensive. We try again, with those, and sometimes it works! The
distraction of treats & toys to share is helpful sometimes--and, of
course, swapping bedding, so they can smell the other ferret(s) scent.

At the end of the day, always remember when you take a new one in, that
it may be an "only." Be prepared. Always have a spare cage on hand,
just in case--and never allow your babies to be bullied.

Hope this helps. Love, Zoo