From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 1994 16:49:52 -0500
Victoria -

You said, "far from being afraid of heights, they seem totally
*unaware* of heights.  They don't even bother to hold on to me, and
end up just slithering off my shoulder (and I have to catch them, or
they'd fall to the ground)"

My ferrets did this too... the trick was to *let* them fall to the
ground!  What I did was to practice a bit in my apartment, which is
carpeted.  I'd put them on my shoulder, and when they'd "slither"
off, I'd *let* them fall... boink... they certainly didn't like it,
but it didn't hurt them.  Then I'd pick them up and put them right
back.  After falling off about 5 times, they quickly learned to hold
on.  Now, when I go outside, they faithfully stay on my shoulder.  If
they start getting antsy (sp?) on my shoulder outside, I stand on the
grass and let them fall off... after about two times they'll stay on
forever!

Deisel (the weasel) and his faithful companion Keith.