From:
Stephanie Mudgett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 1996 20:14:04 -0400
Hi all,

I just have to share this with you--it happened an hour or so ago and I'm
still laughing.  One of our boys, Toby, is a great escape artist.  We have a
luan (spelling) barrier to keep the ferrets out of the living room.  The
luan is approximately 30" high and then we have another piece behind it
which just rests against it.  Needless to say it is a pain getting in and
out of the living room.  Toby has learned how to jump over it and push
between the pieces and get into the living room and of course into the
subwoofer on the floor, etc.  It's been a battle trying to outwit this
little guy, but tonight I think I finally did it!

I got some cheap packing tape and attached it sticky side out onto the luan.
When he jumped at first it didn't phase him until he started to push his
body through the two pieces and realized the tape was sticky.  (Ferrets HATE
sticky tape!!!) He immediately jumped down only to have it stick to him and
he ran into the bedroom with a 3 foot long piece of packing tape stuck to
him-he thought it was chasing him and I've never seen him run so fast!
Well, that was funny, but then it wasn't so funny when he ran by my computer
and it stuck of course to all the cords and plugs and desk legs.  Luckily,
it was very cheap packing tape and it pulled off really easily.  And of
course, I would never recommend this unless you are right there to supervise
as it could have wrapped up on him, but it was a riot and he hasn't been
back to the barrier since.  ....

Ooops, I spoke too soon.  He's back and knowing how persistent he is, I was
prepared and tripled the strength of it.  I think he's been deterred for the
moment.  Ferret "flypaper"--now to catch me a fewwet.

Stephanie