From:
Madam Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 18:10:19 -0500
Dear Kim,

Your reply was first brought to my attention this morning by one of my
students.  Many of the families of my students are members of the FML.
I am not a rocket scientist, I am a Biology teacher.  My classes are
receiving extra credit for doing a paper on their pets.  I have 5 ferrets
and many of my students have ferrets.  I have worked various types of
shelters and when unable to do so, have enjoyed helping support
financially.  Children are innocent.  If they see a shelter pleading for
help, they are quite likely to solicit students to give to a collection.

Having been scammed by "shelters" throughout the years, I am quite
skeptical and feel the RIGHT to ask.  Perhaps people here on the FML may
have been scammed by a shelter.  Maybe even one or two who posted here
regularly and gained their trust.

YOU opened the door for questions from the members by pleading for help
not once, but twice, claiming desperate financial times.  Yet you answer
no questions.  You become defensive and offensively rude.  You have posted
intimate details (all can be found in the FML archives) of your love life,
being thrown out of a residence, giving away your ferrets, closing your
shelter, meeting the love of your life and moving to the UK, then starting
up a shelter again, etc.  All of which show great instability and bad
judgment.  You made it clear visitors are not welcomed, nor do you want
volunteers.  Shelters of all places should be a safe haven.  I can't
imagine that anyone would disagree with this conclusion after researching
your letters here on the FML.

I believe my letter regarding Taz was respectful and compassionate.  I
don't even understand your delusionary and rude response.  I can now see
why there would have been an "anon" poster.  And I now believe that
individual was more protective of themselves for fear of your irrational
anger and behavior than "spineless" as one reader viewed it.

You seem further confused and irrational in this response to me:

a)"... by someone who has next to no knowledge whatsoever about my rescue
efforts"

My response: That's an accurate statement and you still refuse to answer
any questions about your shelter.  You came onto a public forum of 3,000
members twice begging for shelter supplies.  Yet you are angered by
questions?

b)"Insists on making insinuations that ARE NOT BASED ON FACT."

My response: Yes it was.  You said you were buying for a friend.  Good
answer.

"Since I have the utmost respect for BIG and this forum as well as advice
he has recently given me, I will restrain myself from commenting as I
would like to."

My response: Oh I believe you crossed the lines of decency.

"First of all, my vet is very caring and has been working extremely close
with Taz to rectify this situation.  So yes he is concerned."

My response: You asked us for help and clearly stated that your vet was
NOT concerned.  Isn't that why you posted????

"Taz and all of my ferrets already drink from an open water bowl.  He is
not dehydrated.  (But thank you anyway for reminding me to check the
obvious)"

My response: I was only trying to help.

"Money is not the reason Taz has gone sick.  He has received every bit
of medical attention that he has needed.  By the way, what exactly are
geenies?  Is this some new ferret disorder brought on by improper rubbing
of a magic lamp?"

My response: I was worried that money was a concern.  Again, I was only
trying to help.

"Money I recently spent on Ebay ( as if it is any business of yours)
was for items I purchased for a friend that does not have a computer.
Henceforth, not $ that I spent."

My response: The day you posted publicly that you were a shelter and
begged FML members for help YOU opened that door.  I honestly believed
that with your desperate financial situation that you would have an
auction up, like so many shelters do.  Instead, when I went to EBAY, I
found a recent bidding and purchase history, no auctions.  I made a
suggestion that you do so.  It is crucial that shelters help themselves
with fundraisers and not be dependent on their income, as you have found
out after losing your job.  Nor should they be dependent on just asking
for help.  They must be self-generating for the welfare of the animals.

"That is the last time I will answer to a comment like that unless you
plan on making a donation to my rescue yourself."

My Response: You have yet to answer any questions or tell us anything
about your shelter.  How many adoptables do you have, how many and why are
there permanent residents, are you non-profit, do you test for ADV.  These
should not be viewed by you as invasive questions or as an attack.  Before
anybody gives a donation, these are simple questions that should be
cheerfully and willingly answered.  Like I said, I don't know if anybody
else here on the FML has been taken in by frauds or shabby operations,
but I have, and am careful on whom I choose to support.

"You have nothing to bring to the table of my ferret's medical problems
and I will no longer answer to crap like this by you and Miss Anon poster.
Anyone that was genuinely concerned for my Taz emailed me privately and I
have no doubt that he will now be on the road to recovery."

My response: You are wrong, I do bring experience and knowledge to the
table.  I didn't realize that the responses were to be private.  I am
sincerely glad Taz is doing better.  I do not know the "anon" poster.

"You can also save the phony kudos for one of your camp's less intelligent
victims.  I see right through it"

My response: I do appreciate someone giving time to transport.  It just
appears that you are not one to be sheltering.  I believe I am entitled
to my opinion.  I don't mean it as an attack.  The rest of your tirade
suggests that you have grossly confused me with someone else.  I did sign
my name, or didn't you notice.  My "camp" is made up of many wonderful,
bright and trusting young people.

In closing, please if you have anything to say, write me privately.  Many
of my students and their families are members here at the FML and I have
found your written outburst today very embarrassing.  They find it
amusing.  I am sure the FML members do not want this to continue.  I
apologize to the members.  THE END.

Sincerely,
Joan Wont