From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:00:15 -0500
Remember that there are others who have encountered such growths on
all sorts of diets, Shel.  Of course, that doesn't say what the rates
are, and that is essential to know, but is not known for any of the
populations, whether they are divided by different aspects of husbandry,
by types of markings (genetics), location, or whatever.  No one has
ever worked out rates of insulinoma.  They do seem to vary widely among
households, though, as do rates of adrenal growths.

Also, remember that there are many variables.  Your ferrets are in
more of a natural light setting with plenty of darkness available, as
i recall, and you are also fortunate enough to be able to provide them
with a large and exciting setting which allows a huge amount of exercise.
High levels of exercise have been associated with lowered tumor rates of
a wide range of types in many mammals.  If there were one thing I could
have the luxury of changing about how we keep ours it would be to have
a large set-up for them to get tons of exercise in, but housing costs
through the nose where we are, so that isn't an option we have.  When
discussing life spans with some friends who normally get long lives of
10 years or more, but who have otherwise tried a range of diets and so
on, the biggest difference in husbandry has been that they were in
locations where it was possible to provide large and challenging
environments (instead of small with as much challenge introduced as
space allows).

On a different topic: I recall several years ago that a pocket in
Australia was reported with adrenal growths suddenly appearing.
Wasn't a vet in the area approached to see if the viral trigger
hypothesis might have any foundation?  What happened with that?
Was it ever looked at?

Matt, it really sounds like that ferret was allowed to be too active
after surgery.  That can cause internal injury sometimes, even deaths
have happened.  It pays to keep the ferrets quiet for at least a
week, preferably 10 days to 2 weeks.  In the case of one of ours the
behavioral controls to prevent heavy exercise or climbing didn't work
and we actually had to provide Torb for a while after he injured
himself internally to give him time to heal.

It would also pay to look at the electrolytes.  If both adrenals came
out, or if one remaining was atrophied the ferret may be Addisonian.
In that case the vet needs to IMMEDIATELY provide Fludrocort/Florinef
and a steroid (usually Prednisolone), or a Percorten  injection and
the steroid.  You will find detailed information on Addisons in the
Archives of the FML and FHL.

Another consideration is that the ferret's blood sugar should be
tested; redness of the feet has been seen with insulinoma sometimes.
(If it looks to be dermal to the vet then a scraping should be sent
for pathology.)

What were the results of the pathology done on the adrenal?

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/